TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
emeded

Default Toilet question / tips

Hi,
Just got my TM two weeks ago and still fiddling with stuff around. I noticed lot of people are not big fans of the recirculating toilet that comes with the TM, and lot of them are keeping it for a "light" duty. However, I do have two kids, and would like to use our toilet exclusively, instead using whatever is available at camping site.
Now I have couple of questions about it.
- Can I throw TP in there (that hole looks very small) :-)
- If two adults, and two kids (7 & 4) use it constantly, how often do you think I would have to empty it before gets full, OR it starts to smell?
- Is it possible to dump the content in the tank (opening leveler on the bottom of the toilet), and charge it again for another couple of days? Is that holding tank big enough to handle two charges (I guess it would always hold only one charge. Once you empty first one, you release second one in the tank then dump it)?
- Did anybody ever have blockage, and how did you guys deal with it?
- Are there any good "nature friendly" type of chemicals that could be used and do work?

Thanks

Erni
Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
emeded

Found this post http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2354 which answers my 3th question...
Old 07-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
TM_Matt

Quote:
Regular old TP is fine. RV TP not necessary. As one who has managed to plug up the house turlet many times, the TM has always come through!

Quote:
- If two adults, and two kids (7 & 4) use it constantly, how often do you think I would have to empty it before gets full, OR it starts to smell?
Gets full - see posts about filling. You can maximize volume by only putting enough water in to make the water circulate - instead of filling to "empty". You can also drain off some by opening the valve and letting some flow down the pipe. All that aside, 3 of us can go 2 nights (more likely 3 nights) exclusively using the TM. Using a combination of what's available at the the campground, significantly more. It really doesn't have to smell. Keep the lid closed between use, yes.

Quote:
- Is it possible to dump the content in the tank (opening leveler on the bottom of the toilet), and charge it again for another couple of days? Is that holding tank big enough to handle two charges (I guess it would always hold only one charge. Once you empty first one, you release second one in the tank then dump it)?
I think I heard you can get another gallon and a half as above. Not sure.

Quote:
Never, thank Goodness.

Quote:
- Are there any good "nature friendly" type of chemicals that could be used and do work?
I use the stuff that is called for in the manual. http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/pdf/Formaldehyde.pdf
Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
emeded

Thanks TM_Matt!
I camped before in the tent but never using camper. Do you have sewer drain at your site, or do you always have to go to the dump site? I assume that depends on the camp, but what is the "usual"? I am just wondering, as having sewer on the camping site, would simplify process of charging the toilet even if you have to do it ever second day or so.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

1. There is no holding tank under the trailer. The toilet is the holding tank.
2. Two adults and two kids will most likely fill the tank, with limited usage after 3 days.
3. If you have a site with sewer, use toilet, then when full, dump and recharge.
4. I would recommend RV Paper only. Make a good habit to start with.
5. By dumping the toilet into the drain pipe, you will be dumping a small portion of the content. Less than 1/2.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Some of us also purchase a tote to dump it into and then recharge it so we don't have to move the toilet. Then we dump the tote. I liked our Barker tote but they cost more. We had an incident traveling and now have a Thetford tote. It was cheaper and readily available.

They all come with wheels...some smaller some larger. Remember fluids are heavy I think 6 pounds a gallon...so if you get the biggest one how will you get it to the dump station. We had a 10 gal. tote and I think we have a 12 or 15 gal. one now.

Extremely hot weather makes us want to dump sooner.

Suggestion...keep the lid down when not using.

We only use RV toilet paper.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
T and C
TrailManor Master

Problems with a smell from the Thetford seem to be a very personal matter. By that I mean that everyone seems to have a different tolerance level for unpleasant smells. Personally, I never notice it.

If we are just stopping for a night or two I use the Thetford chemicals, (the whole bottle) with formaldehyde. I understand that there is a biodegradable type as well. If we are staying longer I have the toilet tablets and throw in one a day to get even more bacteria killing solution.

That works for us.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Dsavage411

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeded View Post
Hi,
Just got my TM two weeks ago and still fiddling with stuff around. I noticed lot of people are not big fans of the recirculating toilet that comes with the TM, and lot of them are keeping it for a "light" duty. However, I do have two kids, and would like to use our toilet exclusively, instead using whatever is available at camping site.
Now I have couple of questions about it.

Thanks

Erni
We will get the occasional slider that will not slide. I go outside and find a stick and help it along. It's nasty but it works. I have not taken out the flapper yet but I'm thinking of doing it soon. It's no fun playing with "mud".
Old 09-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
PopBeavers

I use the RV toilet paper. A 4 pack is a 2 year supply. for 5 adults, 3 of which are women.

We are gone most of the day, so no one is using the toilet from around 9AM until 5PM.

4 of the 5 of us are current or former backpackers. A vault toilet is a luxury item to encounter.

If we do not conserve, then I will need to close the TM, drive down 5 miles of single lane mud (dirt) then another 30 miles of paved road to the dump station. This is not practical. Especially if it were a daily event.

We, obviously, never have accesses to hookups. I have nothing against hookups. but my requirements are for a minimum of 1/4 acre site and the ability to legally ride ATVS from my campsite to the trails.

If I can hear any sound from an adjacent camper, then the sites are too small.

From now on there will be 6 of us. As of 9/1/2012 I became a grandfather. His requirement for the toilet will be zero for at least 6 months.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
ThePair
TrailManor Master

2 adults, 2 kids, nearly exclusive use of the Thetford over routine 4 days/3 nights trips, and we've not yet gotten to "full" on the gauge.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote