TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I have the classic 'one wheel throwing grease' issue. It's clearly coming from the junction of the grease cap and wheel hub. I've tried tapping the cap on without much luck, so I'm going to replace the caps - a set is only about ten bucks from Dexter (plus shipping o'course).

Is it true that only the grease that has been released/relieved out of the hub is being thrown out? In other words, this loss of grease is not a danger to the bearings? That is what I gather from reading this thread (especially Bill's recounting of his discussion with the Dexter folks). I hope to get it fixed before the next trip, but I'd like to know how risky my behavior is if I don't.

Thanks!
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #22
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
I have the classic 'one wheel throwing grease' issue. It's clearly coming from the junction of the grease cap and wheel hub. I've tried tapping the cap on without much luck, so I'm going to replace the caps - a set is only about ten bucks from Dexter (plus shipping o'course).

Is it true that only the grease that has been released/relieved out of the hub is being thrown out? In other words, this loss of grease is not a danger to the bearings? That is what I gather from reading this thread (especially Bill's recounting of his discussion with the Dexter folks). I hope to get it fixed before the next trip, but I'd like to know how risky my behavior is if I don't.

Thanks!
Can't answer your question ... but are you sure your brakes are working well enough with the leaky seal?

In my case the bearing seal went and threw grease all over the inside of the drum, and the brakes were not braking well at all. I could tell by checking the drum temperatures after a hard stop. The good brake was hot at the drum, the one with the leaky seal was only a bit warm.

EDIT: Wait a minute ... your leak is at the grease cap, on the outside, not at the grease seal, on the inside? If so, ignore my post!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #23
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bill -

I can't specifically answer your question. But last time you greased the bearings, did you remove the grease cap, and clean all of the grease out of the cap and off the spindle?

If a clot of grease is caught in there, I have found that it will indeed splat out and make a mess on the wheel. Perhasps your next step is to remove the cap from the mucky wheel, clean it well, put it back, and see if the mess happens again.

To the best of my knowledge - and looking at the diagrams from the Dexter site - there is no potential source of grease other than that which is pushed out around the edge when you pump grease into the zerk. And yes, it appears to me that a dented grease cap - one that does not fit tightly against the spindle all the way around - would leak grease out onto the wheel.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

I had a defective cap from day one. It always threw grease on the wheel.

Once I got the old one off I saw that it had been stamped wrong and one edge was short and as the wheel turned it always flipped grease.

I was at a Camping World and picked up some new ones, they are pretty standard items, and I think they were cheap.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Thanks to all.

Brulaz - great question, but yeah, fortunately it's coming out of the side of the wheel away from the brakes.

I can actually see little strings of grease coming out of the joint between the dust cap and hub, so I am hoping the new dust caps will fix it.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #26
robertkennel

I had grease on outside of rim, replaced rubber seal on dust cap. No more leak.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #27
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Putting a new dust cap on the leaking wheel fixed the problem for me.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #28
Skipper64

Bill,

Your bearing tutorial is excellent as are you other comments on related threads. I greased my bearings today, following your advice, I removed the metal cap. The operation went fine and I cleaned all of the old grease out of the metal hub cover before I replaced it. After watching the tutorial on youtube, it appears some grease needs to be left in the bearing cup. I assume when I am driving, centrifugal force throws grease from the bearings into the cap. If all old the grease gets thrown into the cap, how do the bearings stay lubed? It seems putting some new grease (not a lot to avoid expansion) in the metal cap would be a good idea...thoughts? What has been your experience?

Thanks!
TM: 2008 2720
Equalizer WDH
Prodigy P3 Controller
Skipper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #29
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Skip -

Got your private message, too - 3 times! Your question is a good one. Your thinking is pretty close, but not quite right, though nothing will be hurt if you go your way.

As you know, when you pump new grease into the Zerk fitting in the center of the hub assembly, the old grease oozes out around the edge of the assembly. When all the old grease has come out, you should wipe it all off with a big paper towel (messy!) and discard it. Clean up the entire area nice and shiny, including the inside of the cap, and put the cap back on. You are done.

When you have done this, the bearing is fully packed with new grease and ready to go. No more grease will ooze out, and there is no need for a grease reservoir, as I think you are envisioning.

If you leave grease in the cap, no harm will be done. And as you surmised, centrifugal force will move whatever is in the cap to the outer edge of the cap. The problem is that when the grease moves to the outer edge of the cap, it doesn't distribute evenly in the cap. Somewhere on the circumference of the cap, the grease will overflow the edge of the cap, and then centrifugal force will sling globs of grease out over your nice clean wheel. Ugly!

So your best bet it to make sure you get all the old grease out of the bearing, and then clean up everything, including the Zerk, the hub, and the inside and outside of the cap. Dexter Axle (the mfr of the assembly) has a web site that may make things clearer. Start here.

http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/produ...-Lube_7-11.pdf

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
Skipper64

Bill,

I understand completely. I think the reason I found so much grease packed in the metal hub cup was probably the previous owner not cleaning it out when he pumped grease into the bearings as opposed to centrifugal force working the grease out of the bearing and into the cup. I guess it's just luck he didn't have a mess on his hands as he rolled down the road. My bearing cups are clean and I am now ready to head out to Montana.

I also followed our advice on rims and tires. After greasing the bearings, I installed 15" rims and new tires with metal valve stems. I sold my old rims and tires on Craigslist for $150.

Your insight and experience has helped this novice keep his family safe as we roll down the road. If you are ever in Washington State. Send me an email, you'll have dinner and a beer on me!
TM: 2008 2720
Equalizer WDH
Prodigy P3 Controller
Skipper64 is offline   Reply With Quote