TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2007, 06:19 AM   #11
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

I used the UHMW on both the inside and outside. It worked great until the outside tape started cracking due to exposure to sunlight. Took about one year on the top and two years on the side on the outside. It is very difficult to remove after it starts cracking. Its been good for three years on the inside. It doesn't stick firmly to the inside at all places due to the orange peel texture but it does stick and looks a lot better than the black marks which are completely eliminated.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I guess I'm surprised that the tape is coming off for some owners. It has stuck well for me - granted, only a year+ on my 2006 TM, but about 3 years on my 2002. I did wipe down the attachment area with rubbing alcohol before I put it up. I wonder if that made a difference? Especially inside, I suppose, where a bit of smoke or steam from the stove could have left a light film of oil ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
ragmopp

For those that used Mcmaster-Carr...I went to their web site and there is lots to choose from. What width and thickness is working for you? Of course the order number would be nice also

Mike Anderson
Old 08-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I used the UHMW on both the inside and outside. It worked great until the outside tape started cracking due to exposure to sunlight. Took about one year on the top and two years on the side on the outside. It is very difficult to remove after it starts cracking. Its been good for three years on the inside. It doesn't stick firmly to the inside at all places due to the orange peel texture but it does stick and looks a lot better than the black marks which are completely eliminated.
Difficult is some what of an understatment...I worked on removing some that was on the outside for 3 years...very yellow and seperating.. It came off in layers. The top plastic part came off and then left all the sticky backing.That would not come off with paint thinner, or Goo Gone..had to sand and repaint that spot!
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
I installed the tape on the outside of the back shell and it has survived two one week trips (~1500 towing miles) so far. I am thinking about putting it on the inside but am not sure how it will work on the textured interior.
Would you post a pic of where you installed the tape? Thanks!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWORRYDOG View Post
Difficult is some what of an understatment...I worked on removing some that was on the outside for 3 years...very yellow and seperating.. It came off in layers. The top plastic part came off and then left all the sticky backing.That would not come off with paint thinner, or Goo Gone..had to sand and repaint that spot!
Has anyone else besides me tried denatured alcohol for removing the sticky stuff? I had to use a lot of it when I replaced the rear bed slides. It works better than anything else I've used so far (but it's still a lot of rubbing and scraping, with a plastic scraper).

It almost sounds like using the outside rub strips on the inside would wear better and hold up longer. They do get yellowed over time on the outside, but I would imagine that they wouldn't do that if they were on the inside.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:05 AM   #17
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

"but I would imagine that they wouldn't do that if they were on the inside"

Not sure about that as ours only saw sun light when we had it up for camping, and that was often in the shade. We keep ours closed and garaged so it is likly was the heat alone that caused the yellow and cracking, seperation...My guess is that could happen on the inside also.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote