TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
camp_in_pa

Default Removing Formaldehyde Smell from Toliet

Greetings! I have 1 1997 2518 that we bought as 2nd owners. We haven't actually used it yet but are looking forward to it. I am in the process of cleaning it and getting it ready for our first trip.

The camper has been sitting for at least a year and the toliet has a very bad formaldehyde smell. I tried filling it and adding the blue stuff and then draining it. I also filled it with water and let it sit for a couple of days.

I've searched the forum and have foud references to removing "bathroom" odors. This is not bathroom odor at all, just formaldehyde.

But the bathroom still smells like formaldehyde. My wife and daughter are both sentitive to the smell.

What can I use to clean out the toliet to be rid of the smell? It smells like a funeral home!

Thanks! This forum has been a wealth of information so far!

Dean
Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Magdefrau

Might try baking soda and water mixture. Seems like folks use this stuff to get rid of odors. I believe it is a highly watched subject. I was concerned about smells from the waste system. But it has not been a problem yet. The dealership thought that timly draining would show that smells are not a problem. And he was correct. I think that bleach would help to keep things smelling good. Watered down and not spilled bleach is the greatest.
Keeping the system open so that it drys out during down time helps the smell. I would think a lot of campers have other ideals.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp_in_pa
Greetings! I have 1 1997 2518 that we bought as 2nd owners. We haven't actually used it yet but are looking forward to it. I am in the process of cleaning it and getting it ready for our first trip.

The camper has been sitting for at least a year and the toliet has a very bad formaldehyde smell. I tried filling it and adding the blue stuff and then draining it. I also filled it with water and let it sit for a couple of days.

I've searched the forum and have foud references to removing "bathroom" odors. This is not bathroom odor at all, just formaldehyde.

But the bathroom still smells like formaldehyde. My wife and daughter are both sentitive to the smell.

What can I use to clean out the toliet to be rid of the smell? It smells like a funeral home!

Thanks! This forum has been a wealth of information so far!

Dean

Another 2518'er! Ours is a 1996. Can't say that I know what formaldehyde smells like but we did have smells in our trailer coming from the toilet. 2 things we have done is install a thetford vent that requires a small hole to be drilled in the wall ( scary but ultimately worth it to me and pretty simple) and we cover the bowl with saran wrap when it is closed down for storage or travel. Any smell that wants out will escape through the vent. No more smells in the trailer. I hated to smell that first thing when I started to open it up. I posted the pics of the vent. Do a search for " installed thetford vent." Sorry, the interior pic is sideways but you get the idea. Good Luck!
Cheri
Old 05-31-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
camp_in_pa

Sorry, but I searched for "installed thetford vent" and can't find it. Do you have the picture somewhere? I am interested in this modification.

Also, should I clean the toilet with Aqua-Bowl Cleaner?

Dean
Old 05-31-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
genesc

Go to

http://www.thetford.com/permanent_el...gicservice.cfm

It will tell you how to maintain the toilet.

Incidently, Thetford now warranties the ElectrMagic toilet for three years, if purchased after 2001.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

After the first year and a half, I found these: THETFORD CAMPA CHEM NATURAL TOSS-INS. Nice little packages, you just toss them in and flush.

I think they work the best, and no formaldehyde smell.

Another board member told me that they put (can't remember which) either dish soap or dishwashing detergent in their TM toilet and drive with it "charged" so that it sloshes around inside the toilet and sort of cleans it out.

When we dump, we then fill the toilet full again and recirculate, recirculate, recirculate, and then dump again to make sure that everything is extra clean.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
pbuck1

Another idea is to dump a whole bunch of ice cubes into the toilet. Make sure they're small enough to go through to the holding tank. Add whatever cleaner and/or deodorizer you want to try, plus some water to bring up to charge level, then drive around for a while to agitate (the longer the better, I guess). The ice cubes do a great job of "scrubbing" the inside clean.

Paul
Old 06-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
Freedom

The vent installation 2bcs1jrt spoke of is at this site: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3395
Old 06-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp_in_pa
Sorry, but I searched for "installed thetford vent" and can't find it. Do you have the picture somewhere? I am interested in this modification.
Dean
You must be logged in to find it, but it's there with pics
Cheri