TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
jpcoll01

Default Recommend Toilet Chemicals.....

I have been using these blue packets that dissolve and they do a great job of masking any "waste" odor however they smell so strong I have kind of grown tired of smelling the sweet smell that comes out of the toilet, any recommendations of something that works well and maybe doesn't smell so strong???? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We use the Thetford formaldehyde free chemical and have been happy with it. I forget the exact name but it comes in purple bottles.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
mtnguy

I beileve that Bill is referring to Thetford Campa-Chem Natural, which we get at the local Walmart as a 6 pack. I small bottle per charge does a great job.

Chap
Old 07-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
allenj

We also use the Campa-Chem natural, which does a good job. The regular Campa-Chem which came with the camper was also good. However, another chemical that came with the camper from the previous owner was an orange powder in packets (I don't remember the name of it), and after trying a couple we gave it up. It was messy to use and didn't do a good job with the smell either.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
PopBeavers

I use the Thetford product that comes in the small single use bottles. I have used both with and without formaldehyde and can not tell any difference.

I also use the Potty Toddy deodorizing tablets from Camping World. They are recommended frequently on other forums.

When I store the TM I charge the toilet with water on the theory that water is good for the seals. So I add a couple of Potty Toddy tablets because I do not know how long it will be closed.

The Potty Toddy tablets also seem to help when the weather is very hot, 90+.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm cheap. I bought a box of the Thetford 8 oz bottles at WalMart, and a jug of the same stuff in the half gallon size - at about half the price per ounce. We used the 8 oz bottles but saved the empties, and refilled them from the big jug. Now we have an extra $3.50 to buy gas with!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm cheap. I bought a box of the Thetford 8 oz bottles at WalMart, and a jug of the same stuff in the half gallon size - at about half the price per ounce. We used the 8 oz bottles but saved the empties, and refilled them from the big jug. Now we have an extra $3.50 to buy gas with!

Bill

That sounds like something that I would do.....only I didn't think of it. You better believe that excellent idea will be happening here from now on.

Thanks Bill.

Chap
Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

PopB, I've wondered about charging b4 storage. I can see that the water can be good for the seals but I also wonder about the bacterial breading ground this may create. I first thought about using a bleach solution to kill the bugs but worried about the effect of the chlorine on the seals. I have used the Thetford Seal Lube a couple of times and it does make a difference on the effort (less) needed to pull the discharge slide at the commode base. Comment please.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckul8r View Post
PopB, I've wondered about charging b4 storage. I can see that the water can be good for the seals but I also wonder about the bacterial breading ground this may create. I first thought about using a bleach solution to kill the bugs but worried about the effect of the chlorine on the seals. I have used the Thetford Seal Lube a couple of times and it does make a difference on the effort (less) needed to pull the discharge slide at the commode base. Comment please.
The first three years we had the TM I always stored the fresh water tank empty, the toilet empty and the holding tank empty.

I have been reading TMO forums and RV.net forums religiously since February 2005. Based on all the experience of many other folks like me I concluded that it is better to keep the seals moist. Besides protecting the seals, I live in earthquake country. Having 40 gallons of fresh water and a charged toilet in the TM might come in handy some day, assuming the garage roof does not collapse on the TM.

Like you I was concerned about odors and stuff growing in the water. There is no light in a closed TM parked in the garage. Most green things that grow need a fair amount of light, so I am not too concerned about that.

My city water has some chlorine in it. I also add about 2 table spoons of bleach to the fresh tank. I never add chlorine to the toilet. The water system was drained before filling the fresh tank, so there is no water in the lines or water heater, so the water heater anode rod should not be rotting away prematurely.

I do add a couple of Potty Toddy tablets (from Camping World) to the toilet to reduce the risk of odors.

I am no expert on the topic, but I have given it serious thought. Anyone that knows more than I do could easily persuade me to change my ways, but for the moment that is what I do.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
mtnguy

I am not sure that bacteria in the bottom of the toilet is a bad thing. Maybe they would help to digest any solids collecting in the bottom ??

Chap