TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
We tried to "walk" our cat a couple of times at rest areas, but she wouldn't "go" anywhere but in her litterbox. She was mightly particular about going in her litterbox; it didn't have to be the one she used all the time; but it did have to be a box with litter in it.
It's probably not a good idea to try to get your cat go outside of a litter box.
This could be detrimental when you get back home.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
While talking to a ranger at a Colo SP a few weeks ago, we found that an additional reason and probably more improtant is that a dog's scent is like a "predator" to the wildlife. So when dogs are on the trails they leave a predator scent and the wildlife won't return to that area.
I dog will also not behave well if you come across a mountain lion or bear, making the meeting uncontrollable.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
Bob&Karen

[QUOTE=harveyrv;75883]IMO.....the biggest problem is the dog owners....not the dogs. BLM does not want to be responsible for picking up after irresponsible dog owners, of which there are too many.

QUOTE]

I'll also agree with that! We get especially angry as we camp with four dogs and always clean up after them, even in the pet areas in rest stops. If we can pick up after four, people can pick up after one or two!

Bob
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
PopBeavers

[QUOTE=
My preference would be -- more strict enforcement of dog litter laws and SEVERE punishment to offenders. I am saddened because there are few CA trails that I can share with my dear friend because of others' willful disregard.
[/QUOTE]

I know of one trail in California that is more than 770 miles long. How are you going to police just that one trail?

You must be referring to shore trails.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
I dog will also not behave well if you come across a mountain lion or bear, making the meeting uncontrollable.
A few years ago, while walking down from Nevada falls, while I was on the trail I spotted a bobcat about 7 feet off the trail. I can only imagine what would have happened if one of the other 30+ hikers had a dog with them.

Of the 30+ hikers near me, to the best of my knowledge, I was the only person that saw the bobcat. The woman in her skirt and high heels certainly was oblivious. I don't think the hikers from, Japan, Switzerland, South Africa, Germany, Ireland, etc. that I frequently meet on the trails would ever notice a bobcat sitting still looking for a meal.

The bobcat was under a bush, with only his head visible. A large dog would probably be safe. A small dog might have become a meal.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The bobcat was under a bush, with only his head visible. A large dog would probably be safe. A small dog might have become a meal.
Not to mention any kind of human injury caused by the altercation, even to those innocent by-standers.
I remember decades ago, sitting on a sidewalk with a girlfriend, when two neighborhood dogs starting fighting within a few feet of us. The two dogs continued to fight and wrestle right over me as I laid down and covered my head. The fight only lasted a minute or two, but when it was all over with my hand had been punctured by a tooth as the dogs fought over me. Imagine if one of these animals was not "domesticated" and he discovered that I tasted better than the dog.
Sorry, but I totally agree with the law for numerous reasons.

I've had dogs, cats, birds, and fish throughout my lifetime, and have always been a firm believer that MY pets shouldn't be an issue to anyone else but me and my family.
After loosing my best bud (a large orange male cat named Roo) last year, we now only have his sister (Poo), who is becoming senile. My neighbors don't know these animals exist/ed, which is the way it should be IMHO.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #17
PopBeavers

We no longer have a dog, but our daughter (29) and son (27) do.

The dog or dogs never leave camp.

There is always at least one adult in camp to supervise and care for the dogs.

Works for us. No one complains.

But for us, sight seeing means riding motorcycles and ATVs off road. We never stay in RV parks unless it is a rally, in which case we leave the dogs at home because our children have no interest in a rally.

If I was retired and traveled extensively, I would not have a pet. That would be my choice because the logistics of taking a pet are more than I care to deal with. The benefits do not out weigh the costs IMO.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodyear Travels View Post
You know, it feels like the same old, same old. Those folks who do right -- must suffer the same fate as those who do wrong. My Aussie has served as a therapy dog to Banner Estrella Hospital, and he now serves Hospice of the Valley. He gives more to this world that most humans.

I gladly pick up after him during our 4:30 am walks in our neighborhood with the help of a flashlight, and I carry out his occasional leavings on the Butterfield trail in the Estrella Mtn's.

But I guess there aren't many CA trails that we can enjoy together because of regulations.

My preference would be -- more strict enforcement of dog litter laws and SEVERE punishment to offenders. I am saddened because there are few CA trails that I can share with my dear friend because of others' willful disregard.

I guess I'll stay in Arizona and commune with the Pines instead of the Redwoods. When we get a hankerin for a change -- we'll head to Colorado -- where we can still walk together most anywhere.

Too bad you can't post pictures of the offenders on your apartment complex's message board or return the droppings to their doorsteps with a note saying, "I believe you misplaced this."
My dog's best friend is an AussieShephard
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #19
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersm View Post
CO is the same way... in the capming areas, no problem, but not on th trails. Their concern is that the dogs will disrupt the local wildlife.
Since I work for Colorado State Parks, I feel like I need to step in . . . a few state parks are not at all dog friendly but most are fine with dogs on the trails. At the park I work at, half of the lake is a wildlife refuge and dogs aren't allowed there but are welcome on the other 4 1/2 miles of trail. National parks are the ones you can count on not being dog friendly.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
Goodyear Travels

Sweet Aussie -- thanks Carolyn and Wayne, and thanks Malinda for the Colorado update.

We never leave Deacon in the trailer. He pretty much goes everywhere with us. If we go into town from an RV site to have a meal -- we find a restaurant that has outdoor seating so he can be with us.

He's been one of our best teachers. He loves unconditionally and he's masterful at "living in the moment".

And that's all I have to say about that. F.G.