TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
clown9644

Default Small Leak, AC shroud need calked?

I have a small leak (about 3 tablespoons after last nights all night rain) that is coming out of the vent closest to the AC on my 2004 3023. I have replaced all of the calk other than around the plastic like shroud that is at the bottom of the roof mount AC and does touch the roof as it appeared to not have any before I started. Do you seal this shroud and if so what works best, silicone or the self leveling Dicor 501 my local dealer suggested for everything else?

Dave
Old 09-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Was the air conditioner running during this time? If so, I think it might not be a leak, but that the condensate drain tube has gotten plugged with dirt / debris etc. When this happens, the condensate pan fills and overflows to the inside. I think you can get at the condensate drain tube from the top (remove the shroud). By running a small flexible wire through it, you might clear it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
clown9644

No Bill, the ac was off as were all appliances. The unit was up as though I would be using it as I have been working inside. It was level, etc. and it rained that night. The drops appeared to be coming from the one corner of the vent closest to the ac that has 2 light fixtures in it. I had already re-calked all of the roof and vent seals, even covered the getting rusty screws which I know I will hate some day. I have inspected every area of the roof and it appears to be well covered with calk, with no loose ends. The only area that I did not calk was around the AC where it comes into contact with the roof. I did not calk that area as it appeared to have never had any. I now think that any water getting in must be through there. Does your unit have calking along the roof and shroud?
By the way, when I run the AC I get plenty of condensate flowing so believe the tube must be pretty clear.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Was the air conditioner running during this time? If so, I think it might not be a leak, but that the condensate drain tube has gotten plugged with dirt / debris etc. I think you can get at the condensate drain tube from the top (remove the shroud). By running a small flexible wire through it, you might clear it.

Bill
Thanks for posting this Bill. This has happened to us before.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
clown9644

Honest, I would take a picture but it is raining raining raining around here in Toledo. I am talking where the very bottom of the air conditioner coverings touches the roof of the camper. I gotta believe it is calked and when it dries up I am going to do it
Old 09-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Dave -

I deleted my previous post because it had several errors in it. When I wrote it, I was thinking of caulking the Fantastic Fan.

Here is a pic of the airco mounting on my 2006. Although the picture is poor and it is hard to see, the caulking in the "Caulked seam" is tight and solid. Hope this helps.

By the way, I think the piece between the two seams is called the "pedestal".

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM airco.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	6526  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
rumbleweed

Don't rule out leaks around the vents or TV antenna. One thing you will find in the TM ( due to it's construction) is that where water shows up inside the TM can be a reasonable distance from where it actually comes in. Check the rubber boot on the antenna. They many times come loose.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
clown9644

Bill, thanks for the reply and picture--I have no caulk where your arrow points, when it stops raining I will attack! What I was calling the shroud is the opposite end to what you call the shroud which points out why a picture is so helpful.

By the way what program do you use to insert the nice red arrows? I find that is really helpful!

Thanks to all for their help.

Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
clown9644

Rumbleweed- thanks for the thoughts-- I had already caulked all of those areas, have a tie wrap on the antenna boot, etc. The only area not done (ever?) was the area Bill showed in his picture.

Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Dave -

It is quite possible that the area I pointed out is supposed to be sealed with a foam gasket laid on the roof at the time the unit was installed. Seems to me that this gasket has been discussed here on the forum at one time or another - anyone? Anyway, a small installation failure in this gasket would produce the results you are experiencing. You could lift the air conditioner and replace the gasket - but I think caulking it would be easier. Before you do, have you tried a hose test on a nice day?

Quote:
Bill, thanks for the reply and picture. By the way what program do you use to insert the nice red arrows? I find that is really helpful!
In a previous life, I had to use PowerPoint a lot, and I got quite good at it. Not many folks use it, though. I think the same thing can be done in Word, but I've never actually done it. Some of the results from Dick (Commodor47) are really nice, and I think he uses Word. I have also tried to use a couple REAL graphics programs - Paint Shop Pro among them - but I find it really hard to put the stuff I want, where I want it, and then to modify it when needed. So, PowerPoint for me.

Bill