TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default 4-wheeling with our 2417KD

FINALLY! I got to use our 2417KD the way we had in mind when we purchased it - off-roading. (Previous trips were National Park destinations, or FS campgrounds while attending weddings, and such.)

Pulled it from Denver to Grand Mesa (3 hours of I-70 to a turnoff, then another hour of county roads, then an hour of Forest Service good roads, then .7 mile of low-range second-gear hills). The 4-wheeling part was rocky, run-off cuts, and hills. Some mud, but nothing serious. A few 90° turns, and it was a normal off-road adventure.

Never scraped the TM on any of the rocks (have the lift kit), nor on the run-off cuts. Didn't hit any trees on the 90° turns. Glad we have the 2417, and not a longer TM. A fixed-wall TT would have hit on the trees. No mishaps at all! We were fully-loaded with 46 gallons of water (filled the water heater at home), and all our food.

After setting up camp, many ATV 4-wheelers and some 4wd trucks went past. Many slowed way down (all went slow, anyway) to look. Don't know if they were looking at the unique TM, or just a trailer down there. Had a couple stop and chat, and they commented that they had never seen a trailer down that road. A friend came up for the day on Sunday, and he couldn't believe we went down there with our TM. He taught me 4-wheeling 35 years ago.

Didn't take pics of the road, as it would have been meaningless. Couldn't really see the grade, nor the size of the rocks. Besides, I was paying attention to driving.

Just wanted to let anyone who may be interested in 4-wheeling with a TM, that the 2417 performed like a champ, again. Our 2417 Sport did great, and now the wider 2417KD also works wonderfully! As an aside, we got 21.5 mpg, round-trip, with our 2014 Grand Cherokee diesel. Love the fuel economy and power of that engine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-29 15.49.47.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	10546   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-30 20.06.20.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	10547   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-01 12.23.16.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	10548  
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

and the cat.

It is amazing how versitile the latest Grand Cherokee is, no wonder they do not depreciate.

Wish a diesel made sense for me but the 15-20% premium on diesel over 87 PON in Florida just makes the flex-fuel 3.6 a better choice for me.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Great story, Love to Camp! Do you have the 2.5" or 5" lift kit? You are braver than me to go on a road like that. Beautiful photos.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sounds like you would enjoy travelling with Lars Dennert. Take a look at his descriptive post at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8733
and in particular his photo blog referenced in post #6. Amazing!

[Edit: Nuts. It looks like Lars is gone, along with his blog and photos. It was truly impressive.]

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Just have the 2.5" lift. Just have to pay attention to where the wheels are going, and where the differentials are, in relation to rocks and holes.

Yes, the cat enjoys camping, but not the trip back and forth.

The diesel will pay for itself shortly. With the 15 cents differential that I have been paying for the last few months, it will take about 80,000 miles to pay for the diesel, with half highway and half city driving. At 32 cents differential, it will take 100,000, compared to my wife's 5.7L Hemi V-8. I got the Jeep April 30, and have over 15,000 miles now. So, it will take me less time, since I have more highway miles than 50%.

Add the Jeep's lift system, and the new Jeep is a great off-road tow vehicle. In 'rock' mode, it raises the body about 4" from normal level, which certainly helps with clearance.

Yep, I love my TM, and my Jeep. Both manufacturers keep improving their product each year. Glad I have both units, and plan to keep them for a long time.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up Just a couple questions...

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Just a couple questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
We were fully-loaded with 46 gallons of water (filled the water heater at home), and all our food.
No problem having water tank full?

So many on here have made mention about filling up at destination and not being filled while driving.

Quote:
The 4-wheeling part was rocky, run-off cuts, and hills. Some mud, but nothing serious. A few 90° turns, and it was a normal off-road adventure.

Never scraped the TM on any of the rocks (have the lift kit), nor on the run-off cuts. Didn't hit any trees on the 90° turns. Glad we have the 2417, and not a longer TM.
Do you have any protection for your gray/black water drains?

Thanks, glad you had a nice trip.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

No problem with full fresh water tank and heater. Some travel dry, to save weight. I was going full boondock, so there was no place convenient to fill when I got close. I always travel full, though, as one never knows how the water will taste, or if it will be available.

No, I don't have protection for my gray drain (I have a cassette toilet, so no black tank). I want to weld something to protect it, though. Just have not had time this summer. Maybe over the winter I will rent a wire welder and put something together. It won't be pretty, but it should protect it.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
No problem with full fresh water tank and heater. Some travel dry, to save weight. I was going full boondock, so there was no place convenient to fill when I got close. I always travel full, though, as one never knows how the water will taste, or if it will be available.

No, I don't have protection for my gray drain (I have a cassette toilet, so no black tank). I want to weld something to protect it, though. Just have not had time this summer. Maybe over the winter I will rent a wire welder and put something together. It won't be pretty, but it should protect it.

I as well like my own filtered water and don't want to carry the water separately then fill.

Good idea on the cage/protection.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post

It is amazing how versitile the latest Grand Cherokee is, no wonder they do not depreciate.
Really?

Old 09-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
Jeff the marmot

That's nice to hear about someone trying some off-roading with a TM. I have plenty of experience off-roading, but none with off-roading our TM yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Sounds like you would enjoy travelling with Lars Dennert. Take a look at his descriptive post at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8733
and in particular his photo blog referenced in post #6. Amazing!

[Edit: Nuts. It looks like Lars is gone, along with his blog and photos. It was truly impressive.]
Hey, I met Lars about 9 years ago due to off-roading and modifications to our 4Runners. So Lars has (or had) a TM? That's awesome!

2009 2720SD, swing tongue added by pro welder, Dometic toilet, LEDs inside and out, one solar panel so far, rear view camera, and larger wheels and tires.
2007 4-door Tacoma
Jeff the marmot is offline   Reply With Quote