TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2003, 11:31 AM   #1
CC_Turtle

Default Awning - do you really need one??

Hi all,

we are deciding on our options.. and wonder if an awning is really needed?    if so, does anyone know if one can be added later..after purchase?

thanks for all of your help!!
teresa
Old 06-23-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re: Awning - do you really need one??

No, they are not needed. You can camp very well without one. However, if you camp in hot sunny places or places where it rains a lot with little or no wind they are very nice. We use ours a lot, but we live and camp in very hot and dry places. It is nice to get out of the sun, cook outside (not adding heat to the trailer), keep the door step dry, have a place to set and watch it rain and other folks running about.

I'm sure they can be added later but I wouldn't do it, I would pay someone who knew what they were doing to do it.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:33 PM   #3

Oviously, you could live without one.  Yet, we would not want to be without one.  It's great to have one when you want some shade on that side of the trailer.

I would carry it further.  We are seriously considering getting a screen room around our awning.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:53 PM   #4
tipper

Camping mostly in Mich. we rarely need ours but it's nice to have should it be unshaded and hot.  So we could go either way on this item.  

If you contemplate adding later, check with the TM factory whether the torsion bars have enough adj. range to take on the extra weight.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:59 PM   #5

We rarely ever use our awning and camp extensively in the desert. Usually, we position the camper so that the door side, which is the hang-outside side, is kept in the deep shade made by the trailer itself. If the awning is facing the sunny side, often the sun still shines in during the hottest part of the day in the afternoon during the summer months when it is up longer. We never leave it up when unattended as we've seen too many ripped off due to unexpected winds, so then it becomes kind of a pain in the neck to set it up, put it down, set it up...

Joan
Old 06-24-2003, 01:29 AM   #6
CC_Turtle

thanks for everyone's input!  we were debating.. because of the $600 price tag of the awning.. your pros and cons are very helpful!

teresa
Old 06-24-2003, 06:50 AM   #7
2619PDX

Based on my experience, you will find the awning a nice addition to the trailer.

As others have said, YES, you CAN live without it, but IF you have one, they do come in handy.

Have used ours in the rain and in the sun. Personally, I'm glad to have it!

Gregg
Old 06-24-2003, 12:04 PM   #8
Chris_Bauer

I wouldn't live without ours. On both of our TMs we have enjoyed the awning, sitting out at night enjoying a cold beer,  ahhhhhhhhh the life of a TM owner ;D.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
Robin

Hey Trailgal!

Where do you desert camp?   8)
Old 06-29-2003, 09:16 AM   #10
Happytrails

I will say the awning does make a big difference on the torsion bars. I'm still looking at getting a new one for mine and took my old one off for the time being. Since doing so it *always* calliwumps while closing the front shell, and a lot of time catches, and won't close down all the way. I guess what I'm saying, is make sure you make the right choice in getting the awning, because later on down the line, if you should change your mind, you'll have to readjust the torsion bars!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]