TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2003, 04:53 PM   #1

Default Trailmanor suited for long-term use?

What I see on the web site looks great. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer to me is 400 miles, so I can't see one in person :-(.

The way I want to use a travel trailer is to go someplace, park a week, cruise around in my S-10 pickup truck (V-6, automatic transmission) doing stuff and providing consulting services, hitch up, and go home. Repeat at regular intervals. I have looked at the Trail Cruiser and the 23QB model looks (barely) adequate for that, but is marginal for my pickup truck (it is purportedly 2695 dry 1500 cargo for total of 4195, while my truck is rated at 5500 pounds tow weight, but it's probably closer to 4500 pounds fully wet and loaded, note that my truck has 260 ft-lbs of torque and a 123" wheelbase). The 23QB also puts the galley and bathroom and the associated water tanks on the wrong side of the rear wheels, meaning that  I'd end up having to tow it dry or else load 700 pounds of stuff under the queen bed in the front compartment in order to get enough weight on the hitch to keep it from going nuts back there :-(.

Looking for an alternative, I came across the Trailmanor. The Trailmanor 2720SL for example looks like it would have more room than the Trail Cruiser 23QB, while weighing about the same. But: Does it really have more space?

Well, certainly it does have more floor space. But when it comes to cabinet space, that's where the Trailmanor breaks down. The Cruiser has full-height cabinets. The Trailmanor of course does not, since it collapses. It seems to me that, from a space perspective as well as from a weight perspective, they're about the same.

Towing-wise, the Trailmanor should tow a lot easier and be less affected by the wind since it is shorter and lower. Okay, chalk up one to the Trailmanor.

The Trailmanor can also be more easily parked when folded than the Trail Cruser. Chalk another one up to the Trailmanor.

But: What's with that toilet?! The Trail Cruiser has a typical marine toilet with blackwater tank, instead of that weird "cassette toilet" thing on the Trailmanor. What is the ramifications of the "cassette toilet"? It seems to me that the harsh chemicals mean that it cannot be dumped into an ordinary septic system like I have at my rural farm, because the chemicals would kill the bacteria that make my septic tank work. True?

And finally, there's the price. It looks like the 2720SL would end up costing about $5,000 more than the Trail Cruiser. The Trail Cruiser with all options *LISTS* for around $13,000, and actual retail will be somewhat less. Hmm. Do I really need four more feet of floor space $5,000 more badly? Hmm...

Of course, the 3124KS is roomier still -- with a price tag to match. While a bigger Trail Cruiser would the 26QBS, but the problem is that the 26QBS is too much trailer for my truck to haul (the usual rule of thumb is 20' for 110" wheelbase, then 1' for each 4" of wheelbase afterwards... meaning 23-24' really being the limit of comfortable towing). So if I could afford more trailer, going to the Trailmanor is definitely the only option other than buying a bigger truck (not a financial option at the moment). The only question then is: Is it comfortable to live in a Trailmanor for a couple of weeks hooked to shore? And what about that toilet, anyhow? (Hmm, does it seem that I have potty fetish? I guess that's what happens when you've done your share of squatting over a cathole while wilderness camping 20 miles from the nearest road or any other signs of civilization &nbsp.