TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2003, 09:56 PM   #1
CC_Turtle

Default Hitch Locks

Hi all,

do hitch locks work? We will be parking our TM away from home at a storage site.. and don't want anyone hooking up and taking our TM home with them :'(

is the hitch lock the way to protect it? is there a better way? thanks in advance!!

teresa
Old 07-31-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re:Hitch Locks

That's an interesting question! Here's my experience. We stored our TM in an unsecured storage area of our townhouse complex in San Jose, CA for 2 years. I installed a hitch lock that went through the lever on top of the hitch, preventing someone from lifting in and fitting it on their ball. I also used the hitch lock when we traveled, just be be sure no one lifted the lever or it popped up by itself while we were on the road. The trailer was never stolen!

We have a larger trailer today that is stored in a secured building during the off season. I do not have a hitch lock for this trailer. Have had the trailer for 2 years... it has not been stolen!

Was the hitch lock the reason... I'll let you decide. :
Old 08-01-2003, 02:33 AM   #3
ColoradoCop

I have three types of hitch locks. As a Deputy Sheriff, I have heard horror stories of people coming out of a resturant to discover that not only was their trailer taken, but it was disconnected from the trailer hitch receiver on the TV. So, I purchased a lock that secures both the receiver and the ball for travelling. When I park at a campsite, I use one of the locks that fits completely over the ball opening.

Especially with a TM, all it takes is to pull the one pin, disconnect the chains, and hand move the trailer to another vehicle.

Maybe a little overkill, but as a cop 8), I hate paperwork and taking a statement about a stolen trailer sure is paperwork ;D :

ColoradoCop

Old 08-01-2003, 05:26 AM   #4
Windbreaker

Living on the boarder where things come up missing a lot, I use much the same set up as CC. Locks on both TM and TV.

The whole thing is, it is just like your house, if someone really wants in (it) they're going to get it (in). Locks only keep honest folks honest.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:51 AM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

I use a triple approach:

1. Lockable coupler pin to prevent the coupler from being opened. Use this enroute and in campgrounds.

2. In campgrounds with hard/stable surfaces, I pull the pin on my fold-away tongue and turn the tongue slightly to the side. The pin goes inside my Tow Vehicle or the TM as appropriate. The "broken" tongue is a highly visible deterent to thievery.

This should work in storage lots also (I store my TM in my garage). If you have a newer TM that has a fold-away tongue, just be sure the ground is very stable so that neither of the front leveling jacks can sink and possibly twist the TM's frame.

3. I also use a lockable hitch retaining pin to make it much harder to steal my hitch from my TV's receiver. I use this whenever the hitch is installed in my TV's receiver. Pricey, heavy duty hitches are very appealing to thieves.

Locks like this not only keep honest people honest, but they also deter lazy thieves...and most thieves are pretty lazy and are looking for easy opportunities. If you make theft of your property look like it will involve some work, they'll usually go find an easier mark.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:23 AM   #6
arknoah

I have been considering getting one of those locks that fits into the ball opening on the trailer to deter lazy thieves. For the tow vehicle, I just remove the hitch from the receiver and store in in the rear of my tow vehicle so it is completely out of sight. Not very high tech, and it prevents me from driving over the wrong kind of ground and scraping the ball on the way.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:33 AM   #7

ColoradoCop, what's your opinion of a wheel lock for the TM that attaches to the lug nuts - like this link:
http://www.trailerlock.com/index.html

I'd like to know iff you or others have experience with it. Would this reduce the number of locks you have to use?

What brand locks do you use?

We live out in the country in such a crime-free area that we're far too trusting - need to get street-smartened up!

Thanks!

Pam
Old 08-01-2003, 07:55 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

[quote author=RockyMtnRay link=board=1;threadid=1094;start=0#msg7540 date=1059742294]
In campgrounds with hard/stable surfaces, I pull the pin on my fold-away tongue and turn the tongue slightly to the side. The pin goes inside my Tow Vehicle or the TM as appropriate. The "broken" tongue is a highly visible deterent to thievery. This should work in storage lots also. [/quote]Ray -

In one not-so-savory campground in San Diego, I went one better. I pulled BOTH pins, and put the entire A-frame in my tow vehicle. Now THAT makes it hard to steal the trailer!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:02 AM   #9
ColoradoCop

Pam,

I checked out the link that you had. I park my camper in my fenced yard when not in use. Just a thought on the locking device would be. I would not take it on the road, due to size and probable weight (see "weight" problems in other sections of this forum).

However, $70.00 is cheap insurance if going to be stored in a storage area. While it won't completely guarantee that your camper will not be stolen, it will possibly dter the thief from stealing yours. Secondly, in case the trailer does get stolen, you can inform the insurance company of all the steps that you took to prevent the theft. Much like smoke alarms, burglar alarms, and fire extinquishers help your homeowners insurance.

I gues my main dislike would be the size and weight that I would have to find space for.

Hope this helps.

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 08-01-2003, 11:57 AM   #10

Thanks, ColoradoCop (woo....watch out for those shades pulling up behind you! ) for the input. With the other good ideas on this thread, guess that wheel lock would be just extra weight and hassle.

Thanks, all of you, for educating the country kid on the bad guys out there.

Pam