TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default New Mexico info. wanted

We have heard wonderful things about New Mexico and are thinking of spending a few weeks there this spring. We love camping in natural surroundings and are considering getting an annual pass for their state park campgrounds. I have done a little research and they have lot of them but many look like reservoir lake boating/fishing kind of setups. We are more into hiking sightseeing areas. Would love to hear recommendations from anyone that have favorite places to camp and things to do in that area!!!!

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Roger, We like the Red River area, in the northern part of the state (N36.708636° W105.40748°). It is in the Carson National Forest. There are a number of Forest Service campgrounds in the canyon to the west.

We will likely go to the Columbine Campground sometime this summer/fall. Have not picked a date, yet, as we have so many other trips planned. We went to Red River a few years ago, but stayed in a small hotel. Wife liked the town, and the scenery is pretty-darn good. That's why we are going back.

Depending on how much time you allow, you could also hit Taos one day, or the Angel Fire or Eagles Nest areas. You could even fit a trip to the Sand Dunes (Colorado) into the trip, or make it a pre- or post-Red River stop (if you can get reservations).

Or, go to the Santa Fe area. There are many trailheads shown on the Forest Service maps to the northeast of town.

Enjoy your trip!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In my opinion, the town of Taos has outgrown itself, and isn't as much fun as it used to be. Much like Sedona, I think. The pueblo is still interesting, but isn't always open to visitors.

I have to agree with LoveToCamp - Angel Fire and Eagle's Nest are gorgeous. There is a nice campground in Eagle's Nest. I think it is in the state park, but my memory is hazy and I'm not entirely sure. Right near the lake, at any rate, and easy access into the mountains all around.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds interesting! Here are a few other places I have been looking at.

Bandelier National Monument
Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks national monument
Chaco Culture np
Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument
Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We've been to Bandelier twice. Wonderful place, very nice campground, I recommend it. From the campground, you will end up walking a rather long steep path down the cliffs to the ruins - unless you wimp out and drive around. But I know you wouldn't do that ... Walking back up is more interesting.

We've not been to Chaco, but want to go. The ruins are several miles from the parking lot. That may limit us. And I think there is some sort of registration or advance reservation requirement. If you go, I hope you will post a long review, with some photos.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Bisti is rather "severe". Interesting formations, but probably only worth a half day to see all there is. Haven't been to the other areas.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Jampcourt

Totally agree with Bill about Bandolier. The campground rarely even fills up, according to the NP website, and there were numerous choices that would accommodate even the largest TM. We found that this was a good headquarters for numerous drives and hiking in the area, but we came back to peace and quiet for the nighttime.
Chaco is one of the most special places DH and I have ever visited, but it is very remote, and the main ruins are not right at the parking lot--some hiking is required in order to reach them. We last visited when we were considerably younger and more able to take advantage of the miles of hiking through the ruins! However, we tent camped both times, and would not recommend hauling the TM back on the miles of very rough roads....that can be totally inaccessible after an afternoon rain. I know that many of the TM's are equipped to go on more rugged roads, but ours is not, and as much as we'd like to return to the area, it wouldn't be with the TM.
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Thanks all for the input. I am beginning to become more excited about this trip. Any other suggestions would be most welcome. I found some good information on Blisti I will share.

The Gallery here has a bunch of great pictures to look through:

https://www.thewave.info/BistiBadlandsCode/Map.html

Pictures of the area you can scroll through that are just amazing:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfr...e4rk/lightbox/

Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
ArkyDoodle

If you're looking at Tent Rocks, there's a COE park (Cochiti) just a few miles away. (Half price for seniors with the pass). We usually do a few days here each year because it's located between Santa Fe & ALBQ (and there's lots to do in each location).......don't get me started on the food.........

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
Gwenne & Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
We have heard wonderful things about New Mexico and are thinking of spending a few weeks there this spring. We love camping in natural surroundings and are considering getting an annual pass for their state park campgrounds. I have done a little research and they have lot of them but many look like reservoir lake boating/fishing kind of setups. We are more into hiking sightseeing areas. Would love to hear recommendations from anyone that have favorite places to camp and things to do in that area!!!!
We spent a week in Santa Fe (at the KOA - I prefer full hook ups!) last spring. LOVED IT! We toured the pueblo in Taos, and it was very interesting. There is a campground in Taos where we would most likely go next time....south of town, on a river. We went to the Tent Rocks and loved it, also to Bandelier - both very worth while. We also went to Chaco Canyon - years ago. I don't remember the road conditions, but we took the wagon ride down into the Canyon, so no hiking. I do remember that the campground looked very dry and dusty. We would go back to Santa Fe in a heart beat if we weren't 2000 miles away.....we only spent one day in Santa Fe proper, and there are great museums that we missed.
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote