TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Glenn in TN

Default Keeping the TM closed

Our 97 2619 has very wimpy hold-down clamps on all 4 corners of our trailer. They never stay latched for any length of time. What might happen when traveling with these clamps loose?

Also, the latches in the middle of our trailer that hold down the sections of the top are weak. One (front half latch - door side) has bent all the way out once and the pin bracket has pulled off of the bottom top half. I think that traveling with the front bed made is a problem. What is a fix for this? I reattached the pin bracket with larger screws.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Ed can help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn in TN
Our 97 2619 has very wimpy hold-down clamps on all 4 corners of our trailer. They never stay latched for any length of time. What might happen when traveling with these clamps loose?

Also, the latches in the middle of our trailer that hold down the sections of the top are weak. One (front half latch - door side) has bent all the way out once and the pin bracket has pulled off of the bottom top half. I think that traveling with the front bed made is a problem. What is a fix for this? I reattached the pin bracket with larger screws.
Call Ed at TrailManor. There are better corner latches available for later (than yours) models. They can be retrofitted. Also check the rubber bumper strips (frame, front & aft) to ensure they are adequate for absorbing vibes. The shell sits on two strips, each end of the trailer, fairly close to the hold-down latches. Ed can supply replacement strips as well.

New improved latches are also available. Ed will send them. I Assume you mean the spring loaded hook latch.

Pin bracket? Assume you mean the stirrup which is srewed into the bottom, very narrow, edge of the shell. If so, TM has a "rescue mod" (my terminology).

It's a strap which clamps the stirrup against the bottom of the shell. The strap extends beyond the original screw points in both directions. Four self-threading screws (same as original) secure the strap. Mine were installed by factory peeps. Very easy to do. Mine lasted for thousands of miles and 2 yrs (before I totaled the darn trailer. Strap setup allows positioning the stirrup (fore or aft) for proper alignment with the hook latch.

HTH - Denny_A
Old 06-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Glenn in TN

Thanks Denny. I found an 800# on the TM website and will call soon. We are planning our next outing at the end of June, so I'd better get after it.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
duane R

Default keeping TM closed

I'm a new owner so I can't help you with your closure problem, but I was curious about your statement involving the made up front bed possibly being a problem. My wife and I have discussed that very subject. Has anyone caused a closure problem by folding the trailer down with bed linens and blankets on the bed?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
nethiker

we remove all blankets and pillows, they were a problem for us!
Old 06-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
michigander

I wouldn't leave anything there that isn't clear of the ceiling when the unit is closed. Unnecessary pressure on the latches or the ceiling/roof could cause problems.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn in TN
Glenn -

I can't speak to your problem specifically, but if the corner latches are TOO LOOSE, they will fall open as you travel. The shell bounces up and down as you go over bumps, squishing the shell's suspension. If the shell squishes down too far on a hard bump, the lower half of the clamp can fall off the upper lip. The clamp height is adjustable - try turning it a turn or two tighter before your next trip. You should be able to raise the latch lever against a resistance that is firm, but doesn't take any real force to overcome.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
Glenn in TN

I've got mine so tight that one of the hooks on the shell is trying to pull out of its screws. I have lost the rubber frame pads as well. I'll try to get all of that done at the same time.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
kozfam4

At least on my '97, I was able to adjust the latches by turning them. It takes a little force to do, so be careful. This helped some.

A lot really depends on how bad the roads are that you are traveling on. A couple weeks ago when we were heading to the Jellystone in Grayling, MI, we had our worst problem with the latch.

The last mile of road leading to the campground was so bumpy (grater ridges on gravel road) that it caused all of our latchs to open (including the middle ones). By the time we pulled in, the camper had already started to open itself up.

My middle latches are wearing out and I'll likely replace them this winter. In the meantime, I'm just wrapping a small bungie cord around to hold the handle back. My spring keeps coming off while we travel.

You don't want to keep your bedding on when you close up. It makes it hard to close and puts tension on the top (I just wish my wife would listen to this). Also beware of bad roads turning your interior lights on. If you have bedding in the way, it could cause a fire. (see one of my other postings - Mobile campfire?)
Old 07-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

On our 2619 it's pretty easy to check how tight things are by looking from under the front shell after you close and cinch the rear shell. We leave our Travasaks on the beds and it's tight enough we can't pull the front one out with the rear shell closed. The SL models probably have more room under the front.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote