TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
kevtrail

Default Gap exterior shell causing interior water leak - Chicago

Hello all,

New to the trailmanor scene. When it is set up, there is a gap that runs vertically from rooftop all the way down, material does not close the gap. Water leaks at the roof line and below. Please see picture. This is a 2 year old model. Something may have happened to that side of the trailer. On the other side, no such gap, the material is tight against the shell.

Anyone have similar problem, repair suggestions?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailmanor Exterior.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	10505  
kevtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

How is the gap on the seal on the other side? Is the camper level side-to-side when you set it up?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
MisterP

The inner shell, if properly adjusted, should have about the same gap on each side, assuming the trailer is level side to side.

Put a level on the floor near the refrigerator, and check level front to back and side to side. If the bubble is level both ways, and your excess gap is still there, then the shells may be out of adjustment. Contact a dealer nearest to you, and ask if they are familiar with adjusting the shells.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
kevtrail

Trailer is level, and there is no gap on other side. Looks like a shell adjustment is needed. Something must have happened to cause such a gap. This is a 2012 model and should not need adjustment. Bought from private party. Thanks, will look for dealer in Chicago area.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I sounds like one spring is out of adjustment and causing the shell to be offset.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
I sounds like one spring is out of adjustment and causing the shell to be offset.
Not sure I follow this. If the spring you refer to is the torsion bar, it controls the effort needed to open, but wouldn't move the shell to the side. If it didn't move. However,

Look under the trailer and see if the torsion bars are all sitting equally in their mounting brackets. An earlier owner of our former TM said he had trouble with the torsion bars moving sideways. That would cause an uneven gap. He added pipe clamps on the ends of the bars, and explained that to me when I bought the trailer.

It won't hurt anything to back the tension off all the torsion bar bolts, then tighten them all again equally with the trailer open.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

I have seen a clamp on one of mine before, never really gave it any thought till now, it makes sense ,, wow tks mister p

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
kevtrail

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at it this week. Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

It looks like in you picture the bottom is closer then the top on that side?

I would looks at several things on the adjustments.

1) measure from the bottom of each shell to the bottom of the bottom box, at two points on each side. You should have the same measurements at all 4 points on each shell +- about 1/4". I think the front shell is about 1/2 greater then the rear.

2) When you open the shells does it all pup up the same by itself, When pulling/lifting on the center of the end. Watch how it opens. It should open so both side come straight up and out. One of the problems if it's out of alignment would be for it to drag on one side more then the other side as if it want to come up at a angle. The problem could be with either shell.

3) When it stops both side should alien with the latch and pins to within a fraction of an inch. If its out this it could cause the shell to pivot side to side since there is some play in the latch.

If you alignments are out There was several threads that I read that tell you how to make the adjustments. You should be able to search and fine the threads.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
kevtrail

Thanks much.