TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
swamperk

Default converter problems

i have a trailmanor 2720 just bought it,i plug my cable 120v in to run my lights because the battery was very low,dim lights,still very dim lights,disconnected my battery no light with the 120v still plug in the camper but i have 120v to the plugins for my tv,,help,could it be one of the breakers? or am i missing something?
swamperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
MisterP

If your battery has a bad cell, no amount of charging will fix it. Test it, and run a voltage test on 12 v going to battery
Old 12-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The battery charger part of the converter is not working properly. Assuming that the converter itself is OK (pretty good assumption), it could be two things. Either the breaker that brings 120 VAC into the converter has popped. Or the fuse that brings 12 VDC out of the converter has popped. Both are easy to check. Remember that if a breaker has popped, you can't simply move it back to the ON position. You must first move it further toward OFF, then snap it back to ON.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
swamperk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The battery charger part of the converter is not working properly. Assuming that the converter itself is OK (pretty good assumption), it could be two things. Either the breaker that brings 120 VAC into the converter has popped. Or the fuse that brings 12 VDC out of the converter has popped. Both are easy to check. Remember that if a breaker has popped, you can't simply move it back to the ON position. You must first move it further toward OFF, then snap it back to ON.

Bill
if i disconnect the battery and still have 120 volts plug into the camper i should have lights,but i have electricty to my tv and plug in light,check the breakers and fuses all are fine,have a new battery as well,,scratching my head again,and i should hear the converter running
Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
swamperk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamperk View Post
if i disconnect the battery and still have 120 volts plug into the camper i should have lights,but i have electricty to my tv and plug in light,check the breakers and fuses all are fine,have a new battery as well,,scratching my head again,and i should hear the converter running
Just tried something turn the breakers off connected my battery,got lights discoccected the battery use shore power no lights,put the breakers on still no lights and cannot charge the battery but I have 120 volts for my t.v and other things
Old 12-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

All of these symptoms are signs of exactly what I posted earlier. The lights are running from your battery, which is badly discharged but still in the circuit. This means that the battery is at least OK, and the main battery fuse (located at the battery) is not blown.

Shore power is getting through to all the wall outlets, which means the shore power 30-amp breaker is not popped. That doesn't leave very much that could be wrong.

The converter should be putting out a strong 12 VDC, which would brighten up the lights, but it is not. Either the converter is not getting AC power at its input, or it is not delivering DC power at its output. You need to investigate both.

If you determine that the converter is getting input power, but there is nothing at its output, it may have an internal fuse. What make an model is your converter?

The converter does not make any noise when it first starts up, so you can stop listening for it. The converter may have a small internal fan that will come after the converter has been handling a heavy load for a while - but your converter is not handling any load, so the fan will not come on.

It is possible that the converter has gone bad, but it is unlikely. And you can't determine whether this is true until you confirm that the converter is getting AC power at its input, and determine whether it is producing DC power at its output.

You can plug and unplug shore power, and connect and disconnect the battery, all day and it won't tell you what you need to know. Do you have a test meter? If not, you should find someone who is experienced with electricity.

Bill
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
swamperk

Quote:
All of these symptoms are signs of exactly what I posted earlier. The lights are running from your battery, which is badly discharged but still in the circuit. This means that the battery is at least OK, and the main battery fuse (located at the battery) is not blown.

Shore power is getting through to all the wall outlets, which means the shore power 30-amp breaker is not popped. That doesn't leave very much that could be wrong.

The converter should be putting out a strong 12 VDC, which would brighten up the lights, but it is not. Either the converter is not getting AC power at its input, or it is not delivering DC power at its output. You need to investigate both.

If you determine that the converter is getting input power, but there is nothing at its output, it may have an internal fuse. What make an model is your converter?

The converter does not make any noise when it first starts up, so you can stop listening for it. The converter may have a small internal fan that will come after the converter has been handling a heavy load for a while - but your converter is not handling any load, so the fan will not come on.

It is possible that the converter has gone bad, but it is unlikely. And you can't determine whether this is true until you confirm that the converter is getting AC power at its input, and determine whether it is producing DC power at its output.

You can plug and unplug shore power, and connect and disconnect the battery, all day and it won't tell you what you need to know. Do you have a test meter? If not, you should find someone who is experienced with electricity.

Bill
thanks bill very helpful,the camper is a 2009,i dont think nothing wrong with the converter but i will talk to somebody about electricity overlooked something i guess
Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
swamperk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamperk View Post
thanks bill very helpful,the camper is a 2009,i dont think nothing wrong with the converter but i will talk to somebody about electricity overlooked something i guess
hey bill,what is the scr in the converter,someone told me he had the same thing with his camper,he replace the scr in his converter
Old 12-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

SCR stands for "silicon controlled rectifier". It is a type of electronic switch. Does your converter have an SCR? You need to tell us the make and model of your converter. If your converter has one, there is no easy way to know if it is bad, and if it is, the replacement is both painful and expensive.

Bill
Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
swamperk

Quote:
SCR stands for "silicon controlled rectifier". It is a type of electronic switch. Does your converter have an SCR? You need to tell us the make and model of your converter. If your converter has one, there is no easy way to know if it is bad, and if it is, the replacement is both painful and expensive.

Bill
its a world friendship converter,wf 8955pec,forgot to mention that i also have a solar panel on top of the camper