TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
SCBillandJane

Default Natchez Trace Parkway

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about this park or the surrounding area? Looking to travel there in early April.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBillandJane View Post
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about this park or the surrounding area? Looking to travel there in early April.
Are you traveling the whole length, or a particular section?

Most of my experience has been with the southern part (Natchez, to up north of Jackson)

1.Watch your speed, as 50 is the limit in most parts, less than that in others.
2. Get you a guide pamphlet and stop at the historical sites on the Trace. Some are better than others.
3. Try to detour off the Trace and eat some home cooking (Fried chicken) at Mr D's Old Country Store near Lorman, MS. We eat there whenever we are nearby. You can find plenty of internet info and youtube videos about this place.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-country-store-lorman-2

4. Watch for wildlife, especially in the evening and at night. Many deer cross the road and will ruin your trip quickly, especially if on a motorcycle.
5. Watch for bicyclists, as this is a favorite road for them too.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
girlbugspoppa

I agree with Bobby, we've driven and ridden motorcycles several times on the Trace between Vicksburg and Natchez, beautiful countryside. Mr. D's chicken may be the best I've ever eaten. He was featured a few years ago by Alton Brown on food network. Best to get there around lunch time. Port Gibson Mississippi was called "The Town Too Beautiful To Burn" by U.S. Grant during civil war, there are several different examples of Church architecture there. Windsor Ruins, the remains of a large mansion where only the pillars remain is close by also, really a neat looking place in the middle of nowhere. Grand Gulf Military Park is a small military park/campground that we keep saying we are going to stay at someday. We did drive through it and it is really neat looking. You can find reviews on it at rvparkreviews.com under Port Gibson, Mississippi. We want to travel the northern part up to Nashville soon, they say it is even prettier. On the trace there are several old cemetaries, the remains of an old town, and portions of the original trace. Enjoy!
'05 Ford F-150 Supercab
5.4 Ltr.
Prodigy Brake Controller
:cool: :cool:
girlbugspoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
SCBillandJane

We are planning on going the whole way to Nashville. Thanks for the information. I always stop for good chicken. We have only been to the Tennessee end of the parkway, and they have the Loveless Motel there. Their fame is their biscuits, chicken and barbeque. Two great chicken places on one trip! I might need to get a bigger truck.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
DoubleT

Natchez State Park is one of the Best we have stayed in. It is Tenn. newest state park 8-10 years old. Beautiful settings we had a spot right next to the lake. Great showers and restroom. Only issue not too many trees on the sites. Worst place we have stayed in Tenn is Cedars of Lebnon SP Old, run down felt like you were in a work camp in the '20's right out of the Grapes of Wrath.
TV 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 V-8 w/Tow Pkg
Air Bags, Swing Hitch
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
wmtire

Did you complete your trip?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Hmm, we stayed in Cedars of Lebanon in 2005 and it was nice. I guess the economy turned around since then
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
DoubleT

We stayed in Cedars of Lebanon in '09 on a reccommendation of friends who stayed there in '06. I guess your right about the economy being a factor because it has become run down and sadly not maintained. Filthy restrooms and showers. Trash overflowing at every location. Power did not work at first two sights and water at one site. Hope it has improved but I will not be going back there anytime soon.
TV 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 V-8 w/Tow Pkg
Air Bags, Swing Hitch
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote