TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2003, 09:30 AM   #1

Default Tow TrailManor with Minivan?

???We own a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan with standard 3.3L V6.   Which TrailManors may be safely towed with this car?   Does anyone have experience with this combination?
Old 06-18-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
caremd99

Default Re: Tow TrailManor with Minivan?

I am going to assume the GC has the same towing capacity as the Odyssey (3500 lbs).  You can definitely tow a 2619 or a 2720.  If you don't pack a lot of gear then you can tow a 3023.  In any case make sure you install a large transmission cooler.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
smookie

We've been towing with our '94 Plymouth Voyager MiniVan with the 3.3 engine and towing package from the factory with no problems. Maybe we won't head for the Rocky Mts. with it, but for us, on the east coast, it does very well. This month we will get our new Trail Manor since we've traded in our 1998 2619 on a 2003 2720SL and we still have the same tow vehicle!  
Old 06-18-2003, 01:28 PM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
???We own a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan with standard 3.3L V6.   Which TrailManors may be safely towed with this car?   Does anyone have experience with this combination?
Nick,

The '03 GC has:
A. For 2WD, either 3.3L or 3.8L engines --> a 3800 lb tow limit - with towing package. [2000 lb limit w/out.]
B. 4WD --> 3500 lb tow limit  - with tow package.
With A., you can tow a 2619, 2720, or 3023.

If purchasing, check the official "Trailer Weight Information" placard, which is inside the trailer, just to the right of the door, as you enter. Total the UVW and LP Gas weights to know the "theoretical" dry weight.

Say UVW = 2960 and LP = 40.  Dry weight is 3000 lbs. What TM doesn't tell us is that the battery weight is not included in the UVW because the "dealer installs" it. So add another 50 lbs for that, and our hypothetical 3023 is 3050 lbs dry. Finally, tack on another 100 lbs to reduce the surprise and dismay factor following your first ACTUAL weighing of the trailer.

*My* new rule of thumb. Read the UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) and tack on 200 lbs. Err in favor of pessimism.

The Grand Caravan with 2WD would be the preferred configuration!

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:33 AM   #5

Quote:

Nick,

The '03 GC has:
A. For 2WD, either 3.3L or 3.8L engines --> a 3800 lb tow limit - with towing package. [2000 lb limit w/out.]
B. 4WD --> 3500 lb tow limit - with tow package.
With A., you can tow a 2619, 2720, or 3023.

If purchasing, check the official "Trailer Weight Information" placard, which is inside the trailer, just to the right of the door, as you enter. Total the UVW and LP Gas weights to know the "theoretical" dry weight.

Say UVW = 2960 and LP = 40. Dry weight is 3000 lbs. What TM doesn't tell us is that the battery weight is not included in the UVW because the "dealer installs" it. So add another 50 lbs for that, and our hypothetical 3023 is 3050 lbs dry. Finally, tack on another 100 lbs to reduce the surprise and dismay factor following your first ACTUAL weighing of the trailer.

*My* new rule of thumb. Read the UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) and tack on 200 lbs. Err in favor of pessimism.

The Grand Caravan with 2WD would be the preferred configuration!

Denny_A
What is included in a tow package?  I have a standard 2 wheel drive 3.3L.  I assume I need to add tow package equipment.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:25 AM   #6
kbrcmh

For what it's worth, we have a 1991 Model 23 which I think is comparable to the 2720.  The first year we towed it with our 1996 Grand Caravan 3.3 engine.  We added the transmission cooler and a class III hitch.  It did fine close to home, but we had trouble going through any hilly areas through PA and TN.  We started having trouble with the transmission and parked the trailmanor for a year.  We won't tow it anymore with the Grand Caravan.  We just bought an Astro van and are going to take it out this year with that.  It has a higher towing capacity.  Mind you, there are 5 of us--2 adults and 3 good size teenagers.  So the weight inside the van itself was greater than you would have with 2 adults.  I know other people have towed there 2720's with minivans and not had much trouble, but we wish we hadn't.  Happy camping!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:09 AM   #7

From the responses (which I sincerely appreciate), it looks like my 2003 Grand Caravan is not really adequate for towing.  Its 3.3L V6 and no towing package appear to preclude this.  We are considering shopping for used motor home as an alternative.  

Thanks for all the advice!  Its much better learning all this before the fact, rather than being disappointed later.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:27 AM   #8
Windbreaker

I understand your concerns and encourage you to do your homework on all kinds of units. Just don't forget to figure in the long term cost of 8 mpg or less, and the very rapid depreciation of motorhomes (which is greater than with cars even).  All told you might find that getting a little larger tow truck and the TM is, in the long run, the less costly.

I went down this road last year and now own a TM and new truck. Very happy. I have friends that we travel with sometimes that run a class a pusher and on very windy days they get 2 mpg while I'm still getting 12+. Just something to think about.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:29 AM   #9

Thanks for all the responses.

We are also considering a tow vehicle and either a TM or older Airstream.  At least the tow vehicle could fill in as a backup car when not being used.  We are hunting a reasonably priced Surburban or pickup.  Does anyone have advice, assuming that the vehicle should be capable of towing either unit?  One feature of the TM is that we could park it in our back yard without offending the neighbors, as it is below fence height.  We're going to visit a dealer to actually see a TM prior to reaching a decision.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:42 AM   #10
Windbreaker

How much of a truck you have to have depends on if you get the Tm or the Airstream. Airstream is hefty. I suggest a full size truck, we went with the 4 door because ours is used as a second car also. With the TM any full size truck or suv will do the job nicely. The Airstream requires you to check weights. Lots of folks like full size Vans for towing, the Ford 350 seams to do a good job. Trailer Life seems to love the Ford Expadition for heavier rigs. I like the PU over the suv because there are things we carry along with us that I don't want to ride with, like the blue boy.

A blue boy is a little tank on wheels that you dump your black water into when you don't have full hook ups.