TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
dpudim

Default Vent covers

Has anyone installed vent covers so you can open your ceiling vents when it rains or leave them open when you are storing or traveling?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
dennisu

Default vent covers

i purchased two vent covers so that i could keep the vent open during a rain for fresh air. much to my surprise they would not fit even though they were standard vents ordered from camping world. my 3023 has a small amount of framing between the vent and the roof which does not allow for the vent cover to fit and be attached to the way the instructions showed. i do not know if changes have been made in the design or not so will be interested if someone has been able to use them.

dennisu
Old 05-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Harry Womack

I used the Max Air vent cover and they work fine. The wood and the ugly caulking that is around the vent is covered by the Max Air vent. I installed it on the powered vent. To mount the cover required removing the fan to get to the screws. Also to drill the holes for the cover, I drilled the 2 holes closest to the air cond. from the inside.

Harry
2005 3124KB
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
moaboy

do you leave the original vent cover on and put the max air vent over that cover or remove the original vent cover? i'm looking at putting a max air vent over the openeing for the fantastic fan. thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Beak12

I had vent covers installed on both my 2720SL(2) and my Elkmont 24 (3) and they work fine. I would keep the covers on also. It's a must when it gets down in the 50 at night. And this week here in Elgin IL all the vents are open and the vent covers kept all the rain out.

John
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Our 2008 3023 was no problem at all to install MaxxAir vents on the two without Fans.

Since ours is always up we like being able to have the vents open for ventilation in the Summer.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

You might check this http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=9326

We had a bit of a problem figuring it out too.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
MisterP

Here is how I have installed MaxxAir covers on two TM's.

Place the loose cover over the existing vent and open and close the vent lid a couple of times so it does not bind.

Without moving the cover use a pencil held vertically to mark the four cover holes onto the trailer roof. This will mark the position of the four brackets that hold the cover onto the trailer.

Now remove the cover and open the vent fully. If putting the cover on your power vent remove the fan by carefully removing the screws and the handle.

Place the cover brackets so they are centered over the markings you made and hold them against the metal frame of the vent (what the vent lid closes onto). Mark the small holes for the mounting holes and drill them carefully with a drill bit the same size as the small mounting screws. The mounting screws go in from the outside with the fender washer, tiny lock washer and nut on the inside of the vent ( which you can do from outside as long as the vent lid is fully open). As you put each bracket on make sure you place a carriage bolt facing up into the slotted bracket hole. This is used to secure the cover.

When all brackets are secure with carriage bolts in, slip the MaxxAir cover over the carriage bolts and install the nuts finger tight. At this point I open and close the vent lid to make sure the cover is not catching anywhere. Then you can tighten the nuts but don't overtighten them because they are tightening onto the plastic cover and will cut right through the plastic. Put the fan together if you took it out.

Enjoy! I find that very heavy rains (normal here in FL) can still splash into the trailer so I usually just crack the vent lid open a bit and the heat will exit.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
You might check this http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=9326

We had a bit of a problem figuring it out too.

Malinda
WOW I forgot all about that one with the diagram LOL ROFL which is bad since I posted it.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Redhawk

THe added advantage to the vent covers, besides fresh air, is hail protection for your factory vent covers. As I recently found out.