TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2024, 02:23 PM   #1
Rob Culver

Default Will a Battery Isolator relay also protect the Tow vehicle alternator?

Hello all,
I plan to upgrade my TM lead acid battery most likely to a Lithium Lifepo4 200 Amp hour setup. I understand that installing a Battery isolator in the Tow vehicle will prevent the Trailmanor from depleting the Tow vehicles battery when the TM is connected to the tow vehicle when the tow vehicle is not running.
So that's one valid reason to get one. But another valid reason according to the article I have linked is to protect the tow vehicle alternator from burning out by supplying more current to depleted lithium batteries than it can handle.

The lithium batteries I'm looking at could theoretically draw 50 amps from the Tow vehicle when depleted. I believe my Nissan Frontier 2022 can supply 130 amps if it needs to but I need to verify that. So perhaps in my case alternator burnout would be unlikely.

This linked article claimed that the SGP35 500 amp relay would act as an isolator AND limit current from the alternator if needed. But upon investigating the SGP35 they don't make the claim it will limit current so I'm not sure it really does.

I guess my overall question is: Have forum members had issues with alternators wearing out when charging 200 Amp hours of lithium batteries? If so, what was the solution to prevent that?

Search for "Battery Isolator Relay" in this article: https://rvacrossamerica.net/in-an-rv...ad-this-first/ and you'll see a section which claims that the Stinger SGP-35 will protect an alternator from overly strong current demands from the lithium batteries.
Rob Culver is offline   Reply With Quote