TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
lsperingo

Default Best Battery ?

Hello,

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what is the best baterry to buy? I have had my TM for 8 months now and my battery will no longer hold its charge. I have a 2005 2619 and the battery came from the dealership. I hope its nothing to do with the converter.

Thanks,

Louie
Old 04-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default I wa very happy with my.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperingo
Hello,

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what is the best baterry to buy? I have had my TM for 8 months now and my battery will no longer hold its charge. I have a 2005 2619 and the battery came from the dealership. I hope its nothing to do with the converter.

Thanks,

Louie
....Absorbed Glass Mat Battery (AGM). No liquid, no servicing and no out-gassing. Replaced the pathetic dealer-supplied lead acid with the AGM about one year after taking delivery of my Trailer. Simultaneously, I hard mounted a 3 stage charger/charge keeper on the cargo floor, next to the battery, in order to maintain the battery in a topped-up condition when the trailer was not in use.

Read about the AGM here:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...at%20Batteries

I purchased the Group 27 battery designated as PVX-1040T. $165 3 yrs ago. Here's a link:

http://www.solarexpert.com/Catbattery.html

HTH

Denny_A
Old 04-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
lsperingo

Great Info! What kind (Name Brand) of charger did you install?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default I used a......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperingo
Great Info! What kind (Name Brand) of charger did you install?
.....Chargetek "Charge Keeper". I use it for my lawn tractor battery the AGM battery (which I rescued from my 'totaled' trailer). Does a great job.

You can see it here:

http://www.chargetek.com/ck150.html

Click on "Installation Manual" (pdf.) at the above link. It has ALL the info!

Denny_A
Old 04-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #5
lsperingo

Last Question...(I hope).. I have read that 6v baterries are better to use than 12v. Whats your take on it?

Louie
Old 04-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Freedom

Generally speaking, 6 volt are better because of the size of the lead plates. Bigger plates have more surface area exposed to the acid and thus they can produce more electricity. Back when vehicles had 6 volt batteries you could crank an engine for a really long time with that big old battery. It didn't turn over a fast, but it would crank for a long time in comparison to how long you can crank with a 12 volt. Two 6 volts in series will last almost twice as long as two 12 volts in parallel. I just wish I had switched to 6 volt batteries when I bought batteries but at the time the battery box wasn't big enough - it is now! I definitely will get 6 volt batteries the next time! Our military trucks had 4 six volt batteries for a long time until about 1980 when they started using 2 12 volt batteries which are about the size of four 6 volt batteries. After the switch we had a lot more battery trouble.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
lsperingo

Thanks Jim for the info. I will be going out this week to the local stores. I think I've nailed it down to Sun-xtender, Optima, and Lifeline. This should be fun?!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Simon3xUD

By the same token, anyone have suggestions on where to buy a battery box that's big enough to a) hold two 6 volt batteries and b) still fit on the box rails on the tongue of a 3023?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Battery boxes for 2 batteries:

Here's one place:
http://www.alliedbattery.com/boxes.htm
Old 04-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
PopBeavers

While we are on the subject of battery boxes...

Has anyone been successful in mounting anything more than a single pair of group 24 batteries on the tongue of a 2720 with swing away tongue?

It looks like the Trojan T105s are too tall to fit in the space behind the propane tanks and partially under the upper shell in the closed position.

I was camping Wednesday through Sunday and had to charge the pair of year old group 24 batteries daily. We used the furnace enough that I emptied two propane tanks in 3 nights. I have never come close to that amount of furnace use before.