TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Pitbull

Default Battery Tender Install

I found that batteries last much longer if you use a automatic trickle charger. It keeps the battery topped off by using very low amps and will taper off (amps) as it reaches full capacity. Of course this is intended to be used only when the trailer is stored. These type of chargers do not cause the battery to lose water and stay attached all the time it is stored.

I used the brand “Battery Tender” because I have used them for years and has proved to work GREAT.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...4341553&sr=8-1

The first thing is to attach the permanent wiring that comes with the charger (two types of wiring come with the charger, one permanent and a temp alligator type). The permanent wiring is a sealed cable with a automotive type (two prong plastic) built in fuse, with round terminal ends (simple, red to positive, black to negative). I then needed to drill a ¾” hole in the rear wall of the trailer near the battery, so the battery can be attached to the charger without having to open anything. The supplied cable is not too long so the hole needs to be close to the battery. I also used two ¾” rubber grommets to protect the cable from the two alum sheets of the wall. I used a little WD40 to slide the grommets over the cable end. I also drilled a ¾” hole in the plastic battery cover and used rubber electrical tape to seal the cover (battery fumes). The top battery cover was installed wrong from the factory so I just turned it 180 degrees and shortened the vent hose. The cable can be pushed back into the compartment (when not using) to where the end terminal is up against the rubber grommet. There is enough cable to close the back shell and attach the charger lead, when you pull it all the way out. I have attached pics of the install.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5684.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	5838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5685.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	5839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5686.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	5840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5687.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	5841  
Old 05-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Redhawk

The battery tenders do work great, I have 3 of them I use on our "toys". I have to pull the TM batteries in the winter time, but they sit on a shelf in the garage with the Tender attached.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
The battery tenders do work great, I have 3 of them I use on our "toys". I have to pull the TM batteries in the winter time, but they sit on a shelf in the garage with the Tender attached.
This install is for the time in sits in between trips and the battery is left in the trailer.

Koz