TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Luau Larry

Default Latch Problems

Hello,

I'm having problems keeping my Trailmanor closed completely shut on one particular side for the "front" half of the camper. It seems that when I go over any road bumps, it jostles the front/right side of the trailer enough that the latch and hooks aren't enough to keep it secured.

I've already replaced the main latch. I wonder if part of the problem is the tension on the two struts - it seems like their natural position is pulling "up" a bit too much, so when any bumps happen the bump plus that pressure up is enough to loosen from the latch/hooks.

Anybody have experience with how to diagnose and fix this?
Luau Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Larry View Post

I'm having problems keeping my Trailmanor closed completely shut on one particular side for the "front" half of the camper.
This is the main latch for the front shell on the sidewalk side, not the corner latch, right?

If it's not fully closing, there is some adjustment of its position possible. If you replace hardware, don't use the spring type of lockwasher, they make things worse in vibration situations. Use a nylock nut or another kind of lockwasher specified for vibration.

Adjusting the torsion rods is possible, but if you can close the shell easily it should not be necessary. Torsion rods must only be adjusted while the shells are open.

It's important that the screws on the latch are not allowed to come loose, as the latch tends to work back and forth in the holes that it's mounted upon, eventually breaking out of them. That happened before I got my trailer, and I had to fabricate a metal plate to mount the latch upon.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:44 AM   #3
eddugo

When mine did that, I found the two rubber bumpers on the frame in front were shot allowing the front shell to "bounce" while under way. Made new ones with rubber from Grainger and that problem went away.
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #4
Luau Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddugo View Post
When mine did that, I found the two rubber bumpers on the frame in front were shot allowing the front shell to "bounce" while under way. Made new ones with rubber from Grainger and that problem went away.
Can you show me a picture possibly of what you're talking about? Because that's what seems to happen on mine: the front shell bouncing while under way. By the way, your photo of your rig looks exactly like ours. We also have a silver Ford Transit as the tow vehicle.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
Luau Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
This is the main latch for the front shell on the sidewalk side, not the corner latch, right?

If it's not fully closing, there is some adjustment of its position possible. If you replace hardware, don't use the spring type of lockwasher, they make things worse in vibration situations. Use a nylock nut or another kind of lockwasher specified for vibration.

Adjusting the torsion rods is possible, but if you can close the shell easily it should not be necessary. Torsion rods must only be adjusted while the shells are open.

It's important that the screws on the latch are not allowed to come loose, as the latch tends to work back and forth in the holes that it's mounted upon, eventually breaking out of them. That happened before I got my trailer, and I had to fabricate a metal plate to mount the latch upon.
Yes i'm talking about the main latch on the front shell. I can get it to fully close, though it takes some effort. The problem seems to be bouncing though when traveling, enough that the main latch doesn't hold.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
eddugo

Hi Larry.

I am talking about the pads the shell sits on when closed. this thread has pics of them: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ht=rubber+pads

Also make sure that the "hook" surface on the clamping piece is parallel to the frame. It has slotted holes for adjustment and if goes a little upward on the open end, that pin will slip out.

What year is your Transit and what motor you using? I have mine converted to an overnighter camper for quick trips. i liked it so much that I also bought a new Transit connect which are really hard to get here in Florida. What part of the country are you in?
Anderson WD hitch
Ecoboost
Old 06-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Luau Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddugo View Post
Hi Larry.

I am talking about the pads the shell sits on when closed. this thread has pics of them: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ht=rubber+pads

Also make sure that the "hook" surface on the clamping piece is parallel to the frame. It has slotted holes for adjustment and if goes a little upward on the open end, that pin will slip out.

What year is your Transit and what motor you using? I have mine converted to an overnighter camper for quick trips. i liked it so much that I also bought a new Transit connect which are really hard to get here in Florida. What part of the country are you in?
Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I tried going to that link to look at the pads and the forum is giving me an error message that I don't have permission to view the page. Any other idea of a way to show me those photos? I do suspect our pads may be gone or worn. The Trailmanor is still new to us. If pads are supposed to help absorb impact to that front frame it certainly sounds like they aren't working on mine as that front frame bounces like crazy.

Our Transit is a 2016, with the V6 Ecoboost engine. Some day we talk about converting ours to an overnighter camper too. For now, we bought it because we were foster parents and for a while had 5 kids at home (3 biological kids, 2 fosters), and a minivan just doesn't work very well, particularly for road trips or if friends are with us, for that many kids. That's when we got the Transit. Now we've stopped fostering. The Transit feels like overkill now for a family of five but we still love it.

We live most of the year in AZ but are in Michigan for the summer. We used the Trailmanor for the cross-country trip, as well as a trip into Canada for a week, but we're in a house up here.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
eddugo

Here they are - front and rear: Click image for larger version

Name:	TM rubber pads 005.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	570.7 KB
ID:	17062

Click image for larger version

Name:	TM rubber pads 008.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	584.3 KB
ID:	17063
Anderson WD hitch
Ecoboost
Old 06-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
eddugo

Larry: Mine was a cargo van so only 2 passenger and lots of room for conversion. Plus everything is bolted in and I can remove everything and have a cargo van again - even the bathroom. I will take some pic and post them - won't be for a while as my wife is going to have major surgery and i will be unavailable for a while.
Anderson WD hitch
Ecoboost
Old 06-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Larry View Post
I tried going to that link to look at the pads and the forum is giving me an error message that I don't have permission to view the page. Any other idea of a way to show me those photos?
Larry -

I can't believe you let your membership expire! You know how to renew, right? That will get you back to full access.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote