TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
I have heard it both ways. both with compelling arguments.
Remind me - what is the compelling argument for NOT CROSSED?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddugo View Post
HoMiPa; Thanks for that info. So are the springy cables allowed in NH and do you cross them?
Yes, the cables are allowed, and yes, I do cross them - chains or cables.

I rented a U-Haul not too long ago, to bring my daughter back from NYC, and the chains were crazy long. U-Haul requires that they hook up the trailer when you pick it up - they have hooks that they use to bring up some of the slack on the chains. They are also required to take a photo of the hook-up, prior to you driving away. The attendant said they specifically have to get a good angle to show the chains attached, crossed, and any extra length taken up by the hooks so the chains aren't too long. I guess it's a CYA sort of thing...
Old 07-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I always figured that digging into the pavement would be a good thing, since it would help to stop the trailer. Otherwise the detached trailer would run forward into the stopping tow vehicle, and the hitch coupler could spear the gas tank. Now there's something I really don't want to try!

I know - the breakaway switch is supposed to stop the trailer. But that works only if the trailer is completely detached, chains and all. We all know that in a panic situation, the tow vehicle can stop a lot more more quickly than the trailer.

Bill
I had a trailer come detached years ago - a Coleman popup - the ex didn't snap down the coupler onto the ball, nor attach the lock, obviously... The trailer didn't dig into the pavement, nor did the hitch coupler ram into the back of the vehicle. The hitch coupler immediately dropped to the crossed chains, went no further, and the trailer itself hit the spare tire on the back of the Bronco while the hitch coupler was under the bumper cradled in the chains. Zero damage to trailer or Bronco, but I'm pretty sure I lost a few years of my life....

From videos I've seen, even at highway speed, chains not crossed, the hitch coupler doesn't dig into the pavement, it just scraps and bumps along, begins to swing wildly out of control, and eventually, while the TV is coming to a stop, the trailer is swaying like crazy and ends up flipping.