TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2002, 02:38 PM   #1
KB7OUR

Default Any advice for Yellowstone?

In two weeks we're heading to Yellowstone from AZ. Any tips regarding where we should look to camp with our TM from Jackson, WY on up into Yellowstone would be greatly appreciated. Boon docking is ok with us. We are reading up on the nearby KOAs as well as the many campgrounds in the park. We love our own "space" when possible and plan to stay near Tetons and/or Yellowstone a few days. We'll stop at Bryce Canyon on the way up thru Utah. Would appreciate your suggestions.

Wade (and family)
Old 07-14-2002, 11:20 PM   #2
oilspot

Default Re: Any advice for Yellowstone?

If youre coming up through Jackson, I think there is a campground near Jenny Lake (Moose Creek, Moose Meadow, etc...).

Once your in the park, one of the Northern areas I really liked was near Mamoth Hot springs.  If you don't find anything inside the park, you should be close to the entrance and the town (I think there is a campground in town...)  

The hotsprings and paint pots were my favorite parts of the park.  I spent almost every weekend in Yellowstone for about a year, when I worked out there a few years ago.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!
Old 07-15-2002, 03:45 AM   #3
kempert
Site Sponsor

North of Bryce is a great place to camp.  Capitol Reef has one of  the best settings for a camp ground that I've ever seen.  You need to get there as early as possible as it fills quickly.  The nearby town of Torrey is my favorite small town in the U.S.  The Star Valley of western WY is a nice drive to get to Jackson.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 03:54 PM   #4

Wade,

We took a trip from AZ that direction in June 2000, before we had our Trailmanor.   There are some fantastic campgrounds in Yellowstone, and one of the reasons we chose the TM was the restriction at some of the campgrounds permitting only "hard shell" campers.   I guess the typical pop-up isn't too bear-proof!  ;D

There's also a 30 foot limit at some of the National Park campgrounds.

If you want to check out our trip itinerary from Phoenix to Boise and back, covering National Parks along the way, check out our trip log at http://members.cox.net/jon.m/boise/boise.html

I think you'd want to check out Flagg Ranch between Grand Teton and Yellowstone, as well.   Not quite as nice as staying in the park, IMHO, but still a nice place to visit.   We rented a cabin there for a night.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:35 PM   #5
KB7OUR

Thanks for the tips - I'll check out your adventure site. Question about length limitations...

When a sign near a campground says limit 30 ft (or whatever), do they mean combined tow vehicle and trailer? If so, how close can you "really" get to this and still be ok?

Wade
Old 07-16-2002, 02:44 PM   #6

We use an old addage at work.

"Better to ask forgiveness than permission."

I'd say the trailer length, give or take a foot or two...  It might mean you need to back the trailer in a few extra inches.