TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
campquilter

Default How to convert analog tv for digital reception

We own a 2007 TM 2720SL. It has a TV monitor that's controlled by a radio that also has audio video and analog television modes. The TV monitor and radio are both TM original install as well as the Winegard digital antenna. The problem is since 2009 when TV transmissions went from analog to digital, the TV has not worked. Has anyone fixed this problem in their TM? I'd welcome info from anyone that knows what need to be done to make the TV work again. I'm thinking perhaps a digital convertor box may need to be installed...but not sure if this is correct or not. Thank you!
campquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by campquilter View Post
We own a 2007 TM 2720SL. It has a TV monitor that's controlled by a radio that also has audio video and analog television modes. The TV monitor and radio are both TM original install as well as the Winegard digital antenna. The problem is since 2009 when TV transmissions went from analog to digital, the TV has not worked. Has anyone fixed this problem in their TM? I'd welcome info from anyone that knows what need to be done to make the TV work again. I'm thinking perhaps a digital convertor box may need to be installed...but not sure if this is correct or not. Thank you!
Update the TV which defines as television not tow vehicle.... There pretty inexpensive nowadays. We use a 15" flat screen and its perfect for setting on the counter. Goes back into its box with styofoam inserts and stores nicely. The antenna is ready to use anyway.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I'd need to know if the TV monitor has a tuner (or the make and model number). If it has an analog tuner then something like this would probably work but I suspect for the money you would be better off buying a new LED TV with 16x9 aspect if your monitor is 4x3.

I find a 19" to be a bit small and a 26" more comfortable.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
MisterP

It isn't just the television. The antenna head may need replacing on the roof. An analog antenna won't necessarily pick up the digital signals. They are not in the same wavelength bands.

You can view these units at the RV parts stores we are all familiar with.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
It isn't just the television. The antenna head may need replacing on the roof. An analog antenna won't necessarily pick up the digital signals. They are not in the same wavelength bands.

You can view these units at the RV parts stores we are all familiar with.
I understood him to say this... The TV monitor and radio are both TM original install as well as the Winegard digital antenna

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Ummm errr ah well could be. All I know is that with my '06 vintage everything the scanner in my little 19" 720p Telly found about 37 digital channels, some in Tampa, about 40 miles from Bradenton Beach (well really Cortez). Wasn't paying much attention though, all I cared about was the Magic game which had a great picture.

At home I get all the local digital channels with a 1984 vintage flying saucer antenna.

Guess it is a good thing I didn't know I needed a special antenna. From Wikipedia "Sellers often claim to supply a special "digital" or "high-definition television" (HDTV) antenna advised as a replacement for an existing analog television antenna, even if satisfactory: this is misinformation to generate sales of unneeded equipment.[2][3]"
Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We bought a new digital TV just in case our little old TV/DVD died, which it finally did, but we found another analog one at the Goodwill with a VCR and we like it better than the little digital TV. We got a converter when the change came around, and use it along with the analog TV because the sound/reception is so much better. If we find something on TV that we want to finish watching, we just pop in a tape, and watch it later and go do what we want to do. Last time I checked, there are still some analog channels around, but they're mostly Spanish speaking, which can also be amusing, trying, with my limited knowledge of the Spanish language, to figure out what's going on. The soaps are the best.

You don't need any special antenna to pick up either digital or analog stations.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have a lot of options. A DVD/VCR like this works well and can put anywhere. Since I have all kinds of AV equipment inc LED Tellys from 19" on up I am doing a lot of experimenting. Any radio I install any more has USB and Bluetooth capability and have several converter boxes from the coupon daze but those were limited by the gov to 480p.

As mentioned I have found that the TM powered antenna in my '06 is quite powerful and works well on digital.

Maybe we should start a seperate forum area for AV & computer issues.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Have a lot of options. A DVD/VCR like this works well and can put anywhere. Since I have all kinds of AV equipment inc LED Tellys from 19" on up I am doing a lot of experimenting. Any radio I install any more has USB and Bluetooth capability and have several converter boxes from the coupon daze but those were limited by the gov to 480p.

As mentioned I have found that the TM powered antenna in my '06 is quite powerful and works well on digital.

Maybe we should start a seperate forum area for AV & computer issues.
I thought you were camping? Enjoy nature outside... have fun

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

"I thought you were camping? Enjoy nature outside... have fun "
But at night, the teeth, the teeth...

Beside it is not just a camper, it is also Mobile Guest Room II & everything is multifunction. Did I mention that I am a telecommuter & can save the world from anywhere ?

ps Where do you carry the Suzuki ?