TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.
Default Trailmanor Blowup

This week I did some camping at my favorite spot in the San Luis Valley of Colorado. Winter is my favorite time for camping. Some friends came later to share the luxury of the Trailmanor. Of course, they left before cleanup and fold down of the TM was completed. So I did all 97 things that have to be done before I can fold the TM down, lowered the rear half, and got all those latches latched. Then I pushed the front half down just as a big blast of those hurricane force winds shoved the front half back at me and threw me to the ground (actually I tripped backwards over a six pack). Luckily the beers were OK, but even though I already had the top half of the dutch door latched closed, the wind pressure broke the plastic latch and blew the door open. Good thing nobody was standing there! I was able to latch the door with the remaining half of the latch. Not sure about permanent damage yet. "Windy" is my least favorite weather.

On the Highway that I take (Hwy 285) it's a well-known phenomenon that no matter which way you are traveling, there is always a crosswind, never head or tail wind! This time was no different except that the wind and snow created whiteouts every few miles on the 3 hour trip. I gotta say that the TM (with some help from WD/Sway hitch) trailed like it wasn't there. Could hardly tell the wind was blowing. Sooooo much better than my old full-height, rollover-style trailer that rolled over in the wind.

wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Yikes, that does sound exciting. I've slept in the TM during 50 MPH winds, and it was no picnic. Lots of rockin and rollin and no sleep.

It was very windy here in LA as well this week. We had 95+ MPH gusts Wednesday. Trees down all over. LAX lost power for a bit, as did about a 1-mile radius around it. I was at In-N-Out when the power went out, so not getting my burger as I was salivating was a real disaster.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

When we were fleeing Hurricane Rita in 2005 we experienced gusts of 50+ mph (although probably not directly on the camper because we were in an oak forest ). It was no problem at all just a little noisy. Wasn't trying to actually MOVE the shells in that, though. Weather graphs for nearby Sulphur Springs, Texas for that day: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ID=KSLR&type=3
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayneo View Post
This week I did some camping at my favorite spot in the San Luis Valley of Colorado. Winter is my favorite time for camping. Some friends came later to share the luxury of the Trailmanor. Of course, they left before cleanup and fold down of the TM was completed. So I did all 97 things that have to be done before I can fold the TM down, lowered the rear half, and got all those latches latched. Then I pushed the front half down just as a big blast of those hurricane force winds shoved the front half back at me and threw me to the ground (actually I tripped backwards over a six pack). Luckily the beers were OK, but even though I already had the top half of the dutch door latched closed, the wind pressure broke the plastic latch and blew the door open. Good thing nobody was standing there! I was able to latch the door with the remaining half of the latch. Not sure about permanent damage yet. "Windy" is my least favorite weather.

On the Highway that I take (Hwy 285) it's a well-known phenomenon that no matter which way you are traveling, there is always a crosswind, never head or tail wind! This time was no different except that the wind and snow created whiteouts every few miles on the 3 hour trip. I gotta say that the TM (with some help from WD/Sway hitch) trailed like it wasn't there. Could hardly tell the wind was blowing. Sooooo much better than my old full-height, rollover-style trailer that rolled over in the wind.

wayne

When I raise and lower our TM the top half of the door it latched open to the side of the camper. This is done to prevent the half moon rub marks/scratches from becoming a problem on the the front back end.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Wow Dina, Thanks for the tip! I am beginning to see that exact pattern developing and am glad to be able to prevent further damage!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

same here. good tip.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
When I raise and lower our TM the top half of the door it latched open to the side of the camper. This is done to prevent the half moon rub marks/scratches from becoming a problem on the the front back end.
Very true! -- It's on our setup/takedown checklist. It will also help prevent the rubber seal on the bottom of the upper door half from coming loose as it did on our TM.

Tim
Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the tip!
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Yikes, that does sound exciting. I've slept in the TM during 50 MPH winds, and it was no picnic. Lots of rockin and rollin and no sleep.

It was very windy here in LA as well this week. We had 95+ MPH gusts Wednesday. Trees down all over. LAX lost power for a bit, as did about a 1-mile radius around it. I was at In-N-Out when the power went out, so not getting my burger as I was salivating was a real disaster.

Dave
The local news showed a video of a full height travel trailer being pushed over by the wind. The TV, a pickup, had its right rear wheel lifted up but it didn't follow it all the way over.

I drove from Tucson, AZ to Orange County, CA on Thursday. No problems from the wind. We can feel the bow waves of 18 wheelers that pass us, but no problems with sway or steering.

Tom M.

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default our blowup experince

Was in that bad lands last year...yes the tent canvas is inside the camper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insidecedarckr.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	6773  

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote