TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Default 30A repair for male end

We went camping to NW Florida from the 21st to yesterday. On the second day, the 30a power cord shorted out. The PO had repaired the cord years ago with by splicing in a 18in replacement end. He had used butt connectors and electrical tape and was a decent repair for many years of use. But overtime, the cord would flex at the repair while pushing it in the cord reel storage area.

We have a 30ft (30a) power cord extension but did not want to cut it up so we went in search for a repair end. We were in Santa Rosa beach area of FL and had to drive west for 45 minutes to Navarre Beach. Found an RV store and they sold me this.. I did not want to use the same repair as the PO due to the flex issue arising again.

Wired it up and all worked well for a week. Then when we started to pack everything up for the drive home to Houston, we learned that the new plug end did not fit back into the round plastic service door where it reels out of. Cord was all nicely tucked inside but the plug end was hanging out? And, the roof closes down over the power cord flap door. Conflict... Had to remove the backside of the new male repair end. Three screws and the back comes off with the handle portion and exposes the wires that are fastened inside. Only way it will fit inside the TM cord door. I'm storing the back half of the plug in the trunk storage area.

Just thought I would share our story from the road in hopes that it helps a camper down the road one day.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Looks like a good fix for the cord end. We've had so much trouble over the years with little hatch on both the pup and now the TM ours is just stored in the bumper. Set up the TM, lift the back bumper cover and plug in.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
MisterP

Why don't you cut off the plastic handle on the replacement plug?