TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
DC Randy

Default Need for pix of campgrounds?

Hey all...I'm considering going down a new career path in my mid 40's and wanted feedback from the people I respect the most...my fellow TM owners!

I've joined so many clubs that sent me telephone-like books with wonderful listings of campgrounds, but the main thing that bothers me the most: WHAT DO THE CAMPSITES LOOK LIKE??? It's almost like renting a hotel/resort room online. You see the fabulous lobby, swimming pool, etc. Don't know about you, but I want to know:
A: how close are the sites to one another?
B: are there trees or grass, etc that separates us from the next site
C: are we backed up next to the our neighbors?

Seriously, I can't tell you how many RV campgrounds in the East are expecting you to plop down $40+ a night, without knowing where you'll be placed if you reserve online (they decide). In fact, one campground in this area didn't even have the normal "pen and ink" drawing of their campground.

Bottom line: I'm a photographer who sees a need here!!! Wouldn't you like to click on a campground website and see what the site looks like???

Love to hear your thoughts.
Cheers!
Randy
Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Hit and Miss

Hi DC Randy!

I agree with what you are saying, but my experience is that - as you said - most places assign a site when I show up, regardless of what their map shows or a photo might show. I believe that the situation has been different with the "RV Parks" we have stayed at.

I have pictures of the sites we camped at and am willing to share those, but that doesn't mean anything if the registration desk assigns sites when checking in. The best I can do is say whether the picture represents a "typical" site or not and whether we had any part in deciding our assignment.

So far, we haven't had to deal with what I would call an unsatisfactory site. But, if that came up, I'd have to be able to negotiate - or pay a penalty and go elsewhere, if another campground was nearby. This ALMOST came up when we stayed at Gloucester Point Family Campground; there were so many "permanent party" sites that only three camping sites were available (one satisfactory) - in spite of our having been told there were plenty of sites when we made the reservation. But, most of the time, this has not been a problem.

Does this help or does it cloud the point you were making?

We are Happy Campers and hope you are too!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

FYI:..I have looked at some beautiful uncrowded campground pictures on the internet...and it was as though there was trick photography involved...

For instance....a close up of two or three shaded sites.........and you think the campgound looks uncluttered, spacious, relaxing, inviting, well kept...the grass is mowed, convenient, etc.

You get there and you can see the 3 trees...that's all there are, the grass in knee deep or the dry road...it low, puddled, or has pot holes...and it turns out the campgound is laid out with a lot of tiny lots. My experience of internet campground site pics is that they usually don't show/tell the whole picture/story.

BTW...who is going to pay to you or anyone else to show their campground in a truthfull but possibly bad way?

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I would be interested in a video source, similar to those used by some real estate sites as well as some RV manufacturers which allow you to "walk through" what's being promoted.

Considering the resources required to offer a reliable and consistent "product", a site membership approach might help get you going quickly. Members who provide videos which meet your criteria will receive a discount or credit for each video. And... campgrounds who want to provide their own video could do so for a fee .. and members could also comment on how accurate the videos really are after they visit a particular campground.

Just a few thoughts. I like your idea.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
Joseph

Default Yes!

Bottom line: I'm a photographer who sees a need here!!! Wouldn't you like to click on a campground website and see what the site looks like???

Yes...
Old 10-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
mtnguy

Sounds like a good idea. I have only stayed in 2 "RV" campgounds, and have not been impressed. Units are just too close together. I prefer the National Parks and Forests sites and campgrounds......cheap, somewhat to extremely isolated, but usually no hookups. If I could find an "RV" park where you are not looking at the side of another unit only 10' away, but actually seeing some trees and scenery, then I would consider staying there.

Chap
Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Freedom

That is one reason we joined Thousand Trails. Here is a picture of one on the Washington coast where we stayed.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
MidwestDave

Wink Pictures Of Campgrounds

While we were anticipating the arrival of our 2006-2720 TM in Wisconsin I checked out a bunch of campgrounds on the web for our maiden voyage. There was one website that had the whole state broken down by areas with campgrounds, some had very nice pictures showing their facilities. We did end up staying at a state park which I was very impressed with. Pictures are definetly a plus!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
jimair1548

We have camped (on the Right Coast) From Ga. to Maine) for a number of years and we avoid the RV parks if at all possible. Our choice is the state parks, primarily due to the size of the sites. The private parks are usually like a parking lot, with very little privacy. Depending on the state, in the state parks, there may or may not be water and electricty at the site. We always have restrooms and showers. Of course, none of that is really necessary, being as the TM is self sustaining. As for the assigning of sites, some of the states allow reservations with a choice of sites, and in others, you just drive in, register, then go pick a site. Check the WEB..... Works for us......
jimair1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I must have really misunderstood this thread....my post looks totally wrong. All I can say is this has been a very trying/stressful/sad week for me. If you wish I can delete my posts...just let me know.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote