TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2003, 07:50 AM   #1
jbeletti
Jim

Default Feedback request from 3023 owners

My wife has pretty much decided on the 3023 over the 2720SL or 2720SD. Whatever she's happy with is fine with me, so long as I can tow it with my Jeep Liberty.

At 50 pounds heavier, 17 pounds more tongue weight and 3 feet longer, I am hoping those differences are negligible for the Jeep - figuring if I should be able to tow a 2720, I should then be able to tow a 3023 (I hope!).

Anyway, we're driving to Danny's Coloma Camperland RV in Coloma, WI tomorrow to check out whatever model TMs they have in stock - just so we can get an in-person feel for TMs. If we like them, we'll continue our research and pursuit of one.

So, I am wondering if anyone who owns a 3023 can give me some quick feedback on likes/dislikes of this model.

For reference, camping will be mostly myself, my wife and our little Yorkie. On occasions, our teenage to older children or maybe another couple would join us.

Thanks,

Jim
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #2
DancinCampers

Default Re:Feedback request from 3023 owners

Hi Jim,

Our 3023SL is an older model, 1993, the newer ones may have a slightly different layout.

We really like ours. When we were looking at different trailers Sharon wanted an open space, & the 3023SL delivers that. We travel alone with our Missippippi Mutt Gizzy. Sharon was at first looking for a 2720SL when we stumbled upon this one. We really like the open space available in the front of the TM. We got rid of the upolstered chair & use collapsable chairs for company.

Because we have a conversion van, this TM is close to our tow rating of 4000 LBS, but have not had any trouble towing yet.

Take care,
Dan
Old 11-07-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
leonardbakers

I got a 3023 this past May, and my wife, 5 year-old daughter, and I love it. The 2 couches are great and there's plenty of living and moving around space with the table folded up. I tow mine with a GMC Jimmy with no problems. Everything works great with few problems. Support from the factory folks is great, and they've been able to resolve the few problems I've had in a timely manner. If I had to do over again I'd still buy it without hesitation. Besides, It's so much fun to see the looks on peoples faces when you set it up.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
jbeletti
Jim

Default We just ordered a 2004 3023!!

Dan and Leonardbakers,

Thanks for your 3023 feedback.

All forum readers,

Today, we took the plunge and ordered a 2004 3023. We drove up north (from suburban Chicago) to Coloma, Wisconsin (an hour north of Madison), to Danny's Coloma Camperland RVs (http://www.explorewisconsin.com/DannysColomaCamperland/).

We spent 3 hours with Dan and Michelle, thoroughly going over a 2720SL they had brought inside the shop for us to get acquainted with. I learned a lot. We also hitched it up to my Jeep Liberty to see how much she'd drop without a WD hitch. We measured about 2.5" of drop at the hitch and from the pictures I took, I'd say up to 2" of lift at the front of the truck. I will definitely be getting a WD hitch. Danny sells Reese and I am still researching WD hitches (Draw-tite, Reese, Equalizer etc.).

Anyway, Dan gave us a fair deal on ordering a new unit versus taking one from stock. Essentially, giving us his 2003 deal on the 2004 model. We've got 6 options on order: A/C, Awning, TV Antenna, Upper Cabinet, 2" Receiver Hitch (for bike rack) and Stove Cover.

New production is 7 to 8 weeks, so we're assuming a first of the year delivery.

We're pretty excited and I want to thank everyone who has posted on this forum. TM owners are pretty passionate about their TMs and I've received a lot of encouragement reading all of your posts and replies to my own posts. So thanks everyone and we'll be joining you as site sponsors right away.

Jim
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 07:22 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Congratulations, Jim - you'll love it.

Re hitches, I believe that Draw-Tite and Reese are the same thing. FWIW, I have the Reese "trunnion-style" WDH with the "High-performance ballmount", and I am very enthusiastic about it. My hitch is the one rated 10,000 pounds towing/1,000 hitch weight, and although this seems like overkill at first blush, general experience on this board is that it actually is an appropriate rating. I suppose you could step down to 7,500/750, but not to 5,000/500.

Re options - at one time, the TM spare tire was an option, and it seems to me that the web site says it still is. At any rate, be sure you get one.

Enjoy your TM!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 12:17 PM   #6
azroadrunner

Hi Jim,

You are going to be absolutely thrilled with the TM. I know we are.

I have towed my 3124KS with my 3/4 Ton P/U both with and without using the WD bars. I can tell you that the ride in the P/U is much better using the WD bars. Without the bars the ride is choppy pitching from front to back. With the bars the ride is much smoother. So I always use the bars. It is much more comfortable that way.

Welcome to the world of TMing.

Jim
Old 11-09-2003, 09:54 PM   #7
camperboy

Congrats! You'll love it.

Glad to see that you're going for a WD hitch. Remember for pay as much attention to the brake controller. Currently the Prodigy is favored by most BBs I frequent.

If you don't have: sewer hoses (clear part, 2 10' hoses, connector to join 2 hoses, park sewer elbow adapter, foam ring), water hoses (white for drinking water), electric adapters (20 to 30 amp), and an 30 amp extension. You might want to see if you can add them to the order.

Other items you may want to pick up:
disposable latex or heavy "rubber" gloves (NOT the kind you might use at the kitchen sink for dishes - they're pourous! For dumping holding tanks.

toilet chemicals

spare 15 amp fuses, 12v

squares of plywood to place under the jacks, prevent sinking
strong board for under tongue jack. Same reason.

Rags. Countless uses like: greasy hitch parts, dirty power cords and water hoses, etc.

a 1/4" allen key chucked in a cordless drill makes short work of cranking down the jacks

Well, guess that was another ramble.

Camperboy
Old 11-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #8
mamabear

JIM,

Congrats on the new TM we are from the Rockford IL area. It is nice to see someone else from IL with a TM. You will love it we have had ours for 3 months now. We own a 1997 3326. Hope you really enjoy camping next year. We can't wait till spring.

mamabear