TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
kn1ghtus

Default CO Camping! (closISH to Denver)

So we just got the trail manor and have done some full hookup camping, and hate the typical "RV" scene. It just doesn't feel like camping! We feel we are ready to venture doing some dry camping So anyone have a few good campings that are within a few hours of Denver? We made our way even to colorado springs on a short notice trip but the campsite was horribad, but the area was nice.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I am sure you will get some help from people in your area. We like camping in Forest Service camps. We were in Colorado this spring and camped at Camp Dick. It was nice but they had a broken water water line so no water. Peaceful Vally campground is right down the road and had water. You might give this link a try for campgrounds in your area.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/arp/...28024&actid=29

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I am not sure if this is close enough for you, but we love this place:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...O&parkId=70288
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
maboug

Smile

Junction Creek/Durango, CO Nice, quiet, relaxing!
maboug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
fourteener

I have the perfect place for you. USFS camp called West Chicago Creek, it is approx 10 miles SW of Idaho Springs (last 3-4 miles graded rock road with some grade & 3-4 switchbacks, go slow, no worries) . Last year when we camped there they did not have water, so check the website and I would give the Idaho Springs USFS office a call to make sure you are aware of any warnings they may have. Some pretty good hiking (back side of Mnt Evans) and a small (very small) trout stream near camp. Echo Lake and the road up Mnt Evans is not far away. Idaho Springs is just a short drive (good eats and small town fun). We met some friends and geocached most of the weekend,,,,,and we had a blast. There were bear warnings, but we never saw any (bummer). I've heard it does reserve up, so again, check the website (reserve america or rec.gov). Good luck, and here's to a peaceful weekend in the Rockies !
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
kn1ghtus

Default thanks!

thanks all! anyone else has anything to add keep them coming this is great, you have shown me some beautiful places! running my own business it's hard for me to get away if it's not a weekend without cell service so it's kind of hard to find what we're really looking for when that is what I'm asking for! THANKS AGAIN TM TEAM!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Shadowcats

We've found lots of places, but really like the State Parks. Some have hook-ups, but most don't. We like Mueller State Park off hwy 67 - lots of trails and wildlife (some spots have elec, nice dump station). Eleven Mile State Park is nice too - large water area - a few sites have elec, but most do not - nice camp spots all around the lake - some are right near the water (wildlife, trails, fishing). It is wonderful living in Colorado - we have it all!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Grand Mesa is a little further but has everything from dispersed camping to paved sites with electric. For us we preferred Spruce Grove a more rustic CG had several moose come through the site when we were there last summer. If they haven't fixed the water yet its available at Jumbo CG about a mile away.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

http://forestcamping.com/ shows most National Forest campgrounds in the U.S. For you, start with Pike Nat'l Forest in Colorado. There are a few isolated campgrounds around Baily (up Hwy 285), which look nice. I looked at this site extensively over the winter, and, for Forest Service campgrounds, it is a great resource. It normally shows the fee associated with each campground.

We do more remote camping, for the most part, but I wouldn't want to send you to any of those, yet. Some, your TM won't easily fit into, or the roads are rougher than you would likely want to do (4-low is necessary, due to rocks and such).

Any Forest Service campground (except along the Rampart Range road) should be good for what you want to do. Sites are a little further apart, and campgrounds are easy to get to (roads aren't too rough). The further from the highways, the less use they get.

Good luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
kn1ghtus

thanks bud