TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
EAKlebe

Default Do these brake linings need replacement?

I just pulled the hubs off of my 1998 3023 to inspect the condition of the brakes. The trailing brake lining has a number of longitudinal cracks in it. The leading lining has no cracking. Question: should the linings be replaced?
Thanks for your ideas.
Ed
Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

YES! Cracks are caused by excess heat! Replace all linings and adjust according to specs! Be sure to lube the backing plate before re-instal!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Not necessarily. Take a look at this thread, and especially the Dexter link I quoted.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6281

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Not necessarily. Take a look at this thread, and especially the Dexter link I quoted.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6281

Dave
The Dexter link comes up with a 404 Error (Not Found)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Ah, of course they moved it. I have attached the file below.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dexter_Electric_Brakes.pdf (310.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

I stand corrected, with the exception, a long trip would not be worth the gamble!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
EAKlebe

O.K. guys,
thanks for the info....now another question:
When they give the size of the brake linings, do they measure ONLY the lining material or do they measure the length of the shoe?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Scottie Dogs

I have been reading lots and lots on this brake situation and I am not very mechanical on this stuff. I got my TM in May it is a 2006, so I called my local RV place today that does all these things and made an appointment for next Friday for a brake inspection $99.00 per axle (this months special) plus any seals or pads or any other parts that may have to be replaced (extra) to keep me safe on the road. Since my TM/RV does not have an engine/trans/6 tires/2 ac’s and all kinds of other stuff like oil changes/6 miles per gal. and towing a car behind me, I think the $99.00 is a good investment for me, this way if I have a problem on the road then I have a place to go back to and complain and not kick myself for over looking brake things that needed to be changed and I did not do that, and mess up a good camping trip. I throw away more money on stupid stuff all the time, BUT this traveling has to be safe!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAKlebe View Post
When they give the size of the brake linings, do they measure ONLY the lining material or do they measure the length of the shoe?
I can't remember what size I got, but if you are going to replace the linings, don't buy them by themselves, but the kit that includes the linings, a new magnet (which likely needs replacing), backing plate, springs, etc., all preassembled. Once you figure in the cost of the magnet, you spend maybe an additional $10 to get the whole kit. Once you pull the drum, you simply disconnect the 2 wires going to the magnet and remove 4 bolts attaching the backing plate to the axle. That's it -- it's off. Do the reverse to install the new assembly, and you're done (after you adjust the brakes when the wheel is back on).

I want to say the brake size is 10 x 2 1/4". If so, this place has each assembly for $23.

http://www.easternmarine.com/Electri...ke-Assemblies/

Cheap. Better yet, check out the Nev-R-Adjust brake systems for $47. Another member here just installed them and likes them, and as the name implies, they require no periodic adjustment, which ultimately needs more braking power when you need it (since most people aren't diligent enough to regularly adjust them). Use the search tool to find his thread.

Dave
Old 04-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Robin and Jay

Default Nev-R-Adjust brakes on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I can't remember what size I got, but if you are going to replace the linings, don't buy them by themselves, but the kit that includes the linings, a new magnet (which likely needs replacing), backing plate, springs, etc., all preassembled. Once you figure in the cost of the magnet, you spend maybe an additional $10 to get the whole kit. Once you pull the drum, you simply disconnect the 2 wires going to the magnet and remove 4 bolts attaching the backing plate to the axle. That's it -- it's off. Do the reverse to install the new assembly, and you're done (after you adjust the brakes when the wheel is back on).

I want to say the brake size is 10 x 2 1/4". If so, this place has each assembly for $23.

http://www.easternmarine.com/Electri...ke-Assemblies/

Cheap. Better yet, check out the Nev-R-Adjust brake systems for $47. Another member here just installed them and likes them, and as the name implies, they require no periodic adjustment, which ultimately needs more braking power when you need it (since most people aren't diligent enough to regularly adjust them). Use the search tool to find his thread.

Dave
FYI FWIW, the easternmarine link above has $10 off/side on Nev-R-Adjust brake assemblies. Just passing along the info.