TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #11
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
TM is known to be more tongue heavy than other trailers, so even though it may be "lightweight" as far as trailers go, there will be more down-weight on the hitch than other similar weight trailers. But, much of the weight will come from how you pack. Because it has holding tanks, a lot of weight can come from prefilling the holding tanks if you are boondocking. Filled propane bottles will add a lot of tongue weight also.

I overloaded the rear axle on our Tahoe which has a pretty decent towing capacity. We had packed a lot of water, and canned food, plus 3 adults and 2 kids. Don't forget the people when it comes to the GVWR for your tow vehicle! 4 adults can add 600 lbs just like that. If they like their beer, closer to 1000 lbs, and that's not just the beer The beer will be another 100 lbs. (Fortunately, FWIW, I don't drink much beer).

But then, you've done a lot of camping, so you probably know all this stuff already.
Larry,
While I am familiar with how quickly weight can add up...it never hurts for a reminder. With new trailer owners (especially those that have never towed anything) I think it is beneficial to point out the basics since the purpose of any thread is to benefit and educate the community as well as the person asking the question.

I do use a WDH with the travel trailer. Loaded, I have around 600 lb tongue weight...heavy. My hitch has also been modified to easily support twice that. Good stuff!

Thankfully we usually just ride two up, but we do load heavy for extended trips (you know...the proverbial kitchen sink)... Our Lexus has modified suspension and additional weight is not a problem. Thanks again! Appreciated.
FlyboyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #12
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
I often drag my TM on dirt roads in NV. If you want to avoid dust AND you are willing to create a bit of extra trash, you can pull a roll of 3-inch 'Scotch Blue Painter's Tape" as a kind of inner corner seal - pressed in along the inside "base box", and loosely overlapping the shell seals. You can't press into the seals, because the shells bounce a bit on ruts and potholes in roadways. But this tape overlap overlap does prevent a lot of dust entry.

You could also stuff a full length strip of one sided, 3" wide "pipe insulation" up there, and then tape it in place with 4 or 5 crossing tape strips to hold it in place. (Tape from bottom of the "box", up onto the sides.) I've done this too, and keeps the inside completely spotless. But the seal-up is slower, and you have those rolls of fiberglass insulation to store somewhere.

Your Lexus is a beast, and can easily two any TM - but you will probably want to use a WDH. I use a 6-cylinder 4R with my heavily loaded 2619, and never have trouble on Sierra Nevada passes, or occasional Whitney Portal trips. (Even Mt Rose and Hwy 108, the Sonora Pass - though that last one is best driven uphill from Nevada, downhill into California).
Rick,
Great info! I appreciate the tips. Those are great things to consider. I never want to enter into something blindly so good info is always welcomed!

I was reading on another forum about a person having issues with dust. Turns out she was leaving the windows crack to help keep it cool while traveling and also had the roof vent open. Go figure!

The 4Runner 6 cylinder is easily under estimated for its grunt power! Nice vehicle.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #13
FlyboyTR

After seeing a TM in person this past weekend, I now see the seal along the bottom inside edge of the clam-shells. Yep...seeing it in person does help to clear up some of the mystery.

I just posted in the Beginner area. Should be a TM owner by Thursday. Thanks again for the help and guidance!

Tags
keeping the dust out, water seals, weather seals