TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Calldon

Default Laveo dry flush toilet?

https://dry-flush.com/

I'm glad the toilet is well discussed on this forum. I don't have a trailmanor yet but I've been thinking about it for 20 years. I'm thinking even more now about getting a smaller ones or even finding sportdeck if it were possible. But has anyone change their toilet out with a dry flush toilet such as the one in the link above? I'm just not real big on the idea of a recirculating toilet. To me even a cassette toilet would be better. Any comments are appreciated
Calldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

The main problem with the dry flush toilet is that it works on a razor and blades paradigm. Like computer printers and ink cartridges. At the moment it costs $1.07 per flush. And the cartridges of course are patented, and only the manufacturer makes them, so you better hope they stay in business. The material used to enclose the waste is not biodegradable. But I'm sure it bursts eventually, hopefully long after it's in the landfill.

I'm one of the people who thinks the Thetford Electra-Magic 80 toilet does a really good job, if you manage it the way the instructions say. If I'm in a campsite with full hookup, I'll dump it out at least once a day and sometimes more often, using very little blue stuff. Away from a hookup it goes for 4 days with a couple of people, using only 5 gallons of water which is pre-filled. You can get a waste tote that you can carry to a potty or toilet.

Putting the dry flush toilet in place of the Thetford is not going to be a big deal. There is no black water tank under the floor, so all you have left is an empty pipe. However, you potentially reduce the resale value of your Trailmanor. I doubt most people would want to pay $1.07 per flush.

Before you buy a Trailmanor, you should probably rent an RV and make sure you're comfortable dumping out the black water tank. For someone who's had a child, this is hardly the end of the world.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calldon View Post
https://dry-flush.com/

I'm glad the toilet is well discussed on this forum. I don't have a trailmanor yet but I've been thinking about it for 20 years. I'm thinking even more now about getting a smaller ones or even finding sportdeck if it were possible. But has anyone change their toilet out with a dry flush toilet such as the one in the link above? I'm just not real big on the idea of a recirculating toilet. To me even a cassette toilet would be better. Any comments are appreciated
I look at the Curve as the compromise. I had no issues w/the recirc, but I didn't want a tote and there were some "close calls", as well as the eventual admonition of my DW who wanted something easier to clean. So I pulled out the Recirc, built a simple platform, and attached the Curve. It's an easy removal to dump in literally any toilet, pit or otherwise. The whole unit removes for cleaning and/or winter storage. There is zero reliance on the manufacturer, and I got a second one on sale, which gives me two tanks for swapping, as well as a backup for the upper section if it should ever fail. No odors or issues with function. Couldn't be happier.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

There's also this model: http://amzn.com/B003EX7LV6

It's a dry composting toilet that is, as far as I know, not wholly dependent on the manufacturer for the replacement composting material. However, it is pricey, and I know nothing about it other than that it exists...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote