TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
pbuck1

Default cover sharp edge protection

Hi,
I recently bought an Adco cover (thanks to this site for help in choosing the right one) and I'm about to put it on the TM for winter storage outside. The instructions/warranty make a point of mentioning tears to the cover from sharp objects on the trailer.

There seem to be several sharp edges on the TM, e.g the TV antenna, rear bumper edges, etc. Have people found it necessary to cover those edges/objects with something? If so, what's the best material to use (most of what I seem to have around which is soft e.g. old pieces of carpet, or foam would not seem to be good since they would retain water after a rainstorm)?

Any advice would be appreciated?

Paul
Old 11-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Bill & Lisa

Default Swim Noodle

I haven't had to deal with this problem but if I was faced with it I would look at using a kid's swim noodle - about 3 foot long, 2 " diameter foam floatation device. A slit in the edge of a piece should allow it to slide over the blade of the TV antenna and protect the cover. Any left over pieces make a good insert into the end of your sanitation hoses to keep the little bit of residual water in place in the hose
Old 11-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We put our cover on last weekend, and I saw that there were sharp corners that needed padding, on ours, the front bed corners and the rear bed corners (ours is not an SL model), especially.

First I tried to duct tape big puffy sponges (the car wash kind) to the corners, they all fell off.

Then, I took an old towel and ripped it into 6" wide strips. Then I sewed them into rectangles (folded 3x & sewed all around the edges) and duct-taped those to the bed corners, ends of the bumper, and the front latches that hang down when the TM is open. So far, so good. I was thinking that buying some potholders from the dollar store would have been a lot easier, but I had a towel so went with that.

I thought about using stick-on velcro instead of duct tape, but I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to get it off the TM without damaging the exterior finish. The duct tape doesn't seem to want to really stick, even though the TM got a thorough washing before we put the cover on.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I decided after our recent rains that the sewn-up towels and pot holders won't work...they stick for a while, but they like to fall off. So I'm switching to bubble wrap. It doesn't absorb any moisture, and is practically weightless.