TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default Testimonial to the forum!

DW found this site when we were considering buying a TM. The information here helped us feel comfortable with the product and gave us knowledge concerning what to look for in purchasing a used trailer.

Once the purchase had been made it seemed obvious to me from reading here that much could done to improve the practicality and livability of the TM. We first took a few short executions with the trailer and have now returned from our first long trip back to visit relatives and vacation. We lived in the trailer for a month. I thought it appropriate and perhaps helpful to post something regarding my impressions on the value of this site and the modifications I have made to my trailer.

From reading and inspection of the trailer I decided the first project before we went camping should be the shower. It seemed very cramped with all the shower curtains. After a little research here I used the Ace Hardware framing strips and plastic sheeting to cover the walls and made the hands free shower with the soap dispenser. I am glad I can’t speak to how it was to take a shower before the modifications were done but can say that it is a pleasure using it now.

The second modification I did was the battery. The trailer was a 2006 so I decided just to go ahead and replace before ever taking it out. From reading here I decided 2- 6 V would be the way to go. I plan on doing a lot of dry camping. I also added a Clipper battery monitor. I camped 5 days in the Tetons with a camp site on the lake a wonderful view of the mountains and didn’t even take my batteries below 50%. We charged up at Fisherman Bridge upon arrival to the area as we were able to make reservations there. Only view we had there was of the trailer next to us. If you don’t dry camp you have no idea what you are missing.

The final modification I did before taking our first trip was upgrading the tires to 15”. All the talk of blowouts made me a bit nervous so I also purchased a tire monitoring system. I think it may have been the best $100 I have spent on the trailer. Driving down the road I know the pressure and temperature and will be alerted if they become problematic. I will at least know I have a problem as soon as it arises and possibly before it becomes critical. It made me feel a little better when it got 102 degrees going 65 MPH down the road.

After our first shakedown trip I found I hated the idea of sharing the nice big storage compartment in the bumper with a sewer hose. The fence post sewer hose storage makes it easy to get to and put away with no contamination of anything. Mine even came with slots for the fence in it to provide air circulation.

Before we had the TM we tent camped and used sun showers. I just put up a tarp and hoisted it up a tree with a pulley and you had a shower with a view. I have made a shower curtain holder out of PVC pipe that attaches to the back of the trailer with clamps. I had the curtain left over from the inside conversion so now we have a shower with a view again. The curtain is just high enough for modesty.

Those are my favorite modifications but I have also:

Put in a radio (it did not have one) and a way to use a second set of speaker for watching TV or set them up outside running wires through the refrigerator opening in back of the trailer. Put clamps on the back of the sofa for the awning tools. Put a rear privacy skirt for outside storage under the bed (I had the materials so why not). Converted lights to LED’s. Put heavy duty mud flaps on to help in case of blowout. I covered the vents so they can be used even when it is raining. Purchased 2” foam for the bed. Added a vent to the toilet. Put a deck plate in the holding tank.I have not had a chance to test it out in the field yet but I did the pump modification to quiet it added an accumulator and the ultimate water transfer bridge. I am most excited about the bridge and it could soon become my favorite modification.

I can’t thank everyone here enough for all your ideas and support when I have posted questions. Some of this I probably would have figured out at some point on my own, but but not without some trial and error. Some like the bridge I never would have thought of. Information here on WDH and brake controller save me much research and I got products I like. You have saved me a lot of time and possible frustration and made owning a TM nothing but a pleasure from the beginning.

Still have not mounted the TV or set up the bug screen I just got in the mail and I have a set of the self adjusting brakes to do at some point. I don’t know as I will ever stop working on this thing. I do love a project and retired last November. It is so nice to have the time to do things rather than add them to lists. Oh, and the best new tool I found at the site is the rivet nut fastener.

It will be a shame if TM has really shut their doors. I just feel sorry for those that will not be able to own one. I am sure we will all be camping in ours for years to come.

Thanks again to everyone here that has been so helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0646.JPG
Views:	1030
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	6547   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0647.JPG
Views:	951
Size:	626.8 KB
ID:	6548   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0640.JPG
Views:	1066
Size:	662.8 KB
ID:	6549   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0642.JPG
Views:	826
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	6550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0643.JPG
Views:	793
Size:	684.9 KB
ID:	6551  

Name:	DSCN0644.JPG
Views:	739
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	6552  

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

Default Mod's

Maybe you could post some pic's of all your work.

Pam
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Yes the forum is a great help and will be even more valuable if TM closes up. Being able to ask questions of folks who have dealt with the same issues is great. Just one example, Harveyrv's help when I was putting in a new side AC was worth every penny I've spent on being a member over the years alone.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I put a few pics up I had and will try and get a few more next time TM is out of the garage. I think there are posts and pics for most everything I did except the outside shower and the way I vented the toilet on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0641.JPG
Views:	995
Size:	586.7 KB
ID:	6553  

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
kokilo

Default One of the best forums ever.

I would like to say thank you to all of the members of this forum that have made the owning of a TM a great experience.

There is a pattern in manufacturing which has the designers coming up with great ideas that are superb in early prototypes. These ideas are then refined by the accountants who make a change here and a change there until the design barely limps out the door. OK so there has to be a profit and you can only charge so much for an item...this is where these types of forums come in.

I have seen groups of users take the original design intent of these items and make them whole again. The TM forum and the Lost Jeeps forum are two great examples of users resurrecting great designs after cash strapped manufacturers crippled them by cheapening the design (Jeep Liberty Diesel) or using shoddy manufacturing methods and poor quality control (TM).

Anyway as an owner of two "discontinued but great designs" I am very happy to have bought them at a considerable savings and now have more engineering support through the forums than I ever had from the manufacturers.

Thanks, Peter and Martha
Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

TM Traveler, just noticed that your trial membership has expired. I'm pretty sure that Lesherp has previously posted the answers to your questions but they are in areas of the forum that you no longer have access to. Please consider becoming a forum sponsor so that you can have access to that information.

Please look here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...splay.php?f=15

Tim
Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
ssmyth

Default Inside Shower Mods?

Would you have pictures of your inside shower mods to share..

Thank you
Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

My TM is down in the garage so I can't take any pics. There is one not so great pic in my pictures and albums.This is the post I used to do mine. I went with the channels and clear plastic rather than Velcro. I included another recent post with pics.

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7812

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ght=Shower+mod

As Long as you are at it here is the hands free shower mod link. Worth the effort also.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3223

Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Maxine_51334

We sold our TM,they came and got it last night. It was very sad to see it pull out of the yard 😞 We had a lot of fun with the TM.
We learned a great deal from this forum. That was the first thing I told the new owners to do...join the forum !
There is a wealth of information here. You all are always willing to help and I want to say thank you for that.
Happy trails everyone...and thanks for your knowledge and help for the past year

TM 2007 2720SL
Swing tongue
Solar panel
Satellite System
15 in. Tires

TV 2003 Ford F150 SuperCab 4x4
Maxine_51334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine_51334 View Post
We sold our TM,they came and got it last night. It was very sad to see it pull out of the yard 😞 We had a lot of fun with the TM.
Just curious, are y'all getting a different camper? Getting out of camping?
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote