TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Dogs not allowed on CA State Park Trails ?

My wife wanted me to research RV sites in the CA Redwoods that are close to the ocean. I looked at some Big Sur campgrounds and the inland, Samuel P Taylor, but I had to tell her that it doesn't appear that leashed dogs are allowed on CA state park trails.

My Aussie is my trail buddy and my dear wife holds the fort down while we are out adventuring. I couldn't imagine leaving him behind -- and it's too bad cause he's not disruptive to wildlife. He'll sit or hide in the grass with me and together we'll watch elk and antelope approach within 30 yards here in AZ -- without a twitch.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a CA campground that is nestled in a beautiful Redwood setting (hookups not necessary) that is still close to the ocean --- and one that allows leashed dogs on trails?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Apparently they are allowed in the nearby (to Big Sur) Los Padres National Forest, at least on some trails:

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...855434lo.shtml
Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I don't think you'll find any state park in CA, and most other states for that matter, that allow dogs anywhere other than the campground. Same with National Parks. B_and_D hit it on the head -- focus on National Forest and BLM areas.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
myersm

CO is the same way... in the capming areas, no problem, but not on th trails. Their concern is that the dogs will disrupt the local wildlife.
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Al-n-Sue

While talking to a ranger at a Colo SP a few weeks ago, we found that an additional reason and probably more improtant is that a dog's scent is like a "predator" to the wildlife. So when dogs are on the trails they leave a predator scent and the wildlife won't return to that area.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

IMO.....the biggest problem is the dog owners....not the dogs. BLM does not want to be responsible for picking up after irresponsible dog owners, of which there are too many.

I have the same problem at my apt building. Dog owners allow their dogs to do their business on our grass, then just leave it EVERY DAY .

I once put a courtesy doggy bag station in front of our building. People would remove all of the bags (at one time) and there was no relief to the amount of mess on our grass.

In viewing our security camera footage (1 of 16 cameras views our entire grass area), I can tell you that well over 50% of the people that walk their dogs, do not pick up after them. About 1 in 3 do.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I wish the horse owners would clean up after their animals. When hiking the trails in Yosemite sometimes you have to pay attention to where you are stepping.

I have never figured out why our local county parks require cleaning up after a dog, but not for a horse.

Perhaps the horse lobby is bigger than the dog lobby.

For the very few people that would take a cat or a rabbit for a walk on a leash, what is the rule?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We tried to "walk" our cat a couple of times at rest areas, but she wouldn't "go" anywhere but in her litterbox. She was mightly particular about going in her litterbox; it didn't have to be the one she used all the time; but it did have to be a box with litter in it.

I don't know anything about rabbits.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Goodyear Travels

You know, it feels like the same old, same old. Those folks who do right -- must suffer the same fate as those who do wrong. My Aussie has served as a therapy dog to Banner Estrella Hospital, and he now serves Hospice of the Valley. He gives more to this world that most humans.

I gladly pick up after him during our 4:30 am walks in our neighborhood with the help of a flashlight, and I carry out his occasional leavings on the Butterfield trail in the Estrella Mtn's.

But I guess there aren't many CA trails that we can enjoy together because of regulations.

My preference would be -- more strict enforcement of dog litter laws and SEVERE punishment to offenders. I am saddened because there are few CA trails that I can share with my dear friend because of others' willful disregard.

I guess I'll stay in Arizona and commune with the Pines instead of the Redwoods. When we get a hankerin for a change -- we'll head to Colorado -- where we can still walk together most anywhere.

Too bad you can't post pictures of the offenders on your apartment complex's message board or return the droppings to their doorsteps with a note saying, "I believe you misplaced this."
Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 AM   #10
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
IMO.....the biggest problem is the dog owners....not the dogs.
I agree 100% !!
I have several neighbors that think "walking the dog" means, let them out to run loose in the neighborhood and do their business in someone elses yard.
Came out my back door one morning to find a Pitbull in my backyard, and then about 60 seconds later my 3yr old grand-daughter walked outside. I told the owner that if that ever happened again, he would not get the dog back.

I've often said that if you are a good pet owner, your neighbors are unaware you have a pet.