TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
brulaz

Default Toilet leak and removal

We have had the occasional water soak when filling/flushing the Elkmont's toilet. It comes out the top/back of the Aqua-Magic V (Thetford) non-recirculating toilet. Turns out our problem was the neoprene 1/2" I.D. flush tubing (from the valve to the flush nozzle where water enters the bowl). It was too short, and leaked at the valve connector. To fix it, remove the toilet (as below) and replace this tube with a longer one, 3/4" longer in my case.

Removing the Elkmont's Aqua-Magic V (Thetford) toilet:
If you have tiny, strong hands, you may be able to reach behind the toilet and unscrew the pex water pipe from the water valve up underneath the rear of the toilet. I don't and so cut a ~4" hole in the panel behind it in the battery compartment (I also ended up cutting the pex pipe in the battery compartment and adding a shutoff valve). The hole is practically invisible as the toilet sits so close to the wall. Unscrew the two bolts on the bottom of the toilet. The toilet may be stuck to the bottom foam ring seal with silicone caulk from the factory. Twisting should help get it off.
In my case the foam ring seal was almost completely encased in silicone caulk. Although it didn't stick too strongly to the plastic toilet, it did to the ABS floor fitting. You will want to remove it as much as possible and replace the foam ring with a new one when reseating the toilet. I really don't think the silicone is necessary.
When re-seating the toilet, I used a new, standard 0.5" thick foam ring.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Redhawk

I just discovered that I have the same leak at the same location. Sorry you had it, but, it's good to see what I should look for.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Redhawk

Turns out that the leak is the valve and not the hose. I was surprised to find that the part was available on Amazon. I'll be glad to get this behind me!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Turns out that the leak is the valve and not the hose. I was surprised to find that the part was available on Amazon. I'll be glad to get this behind me!
Good to know.So far, our valve has been ok. But I doubt that any of these parts have a very long expected life-time.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Redhawk

From the look of the build up in the lines and the fact the trailer had been sitting for a long time, it sure looks like minerals in the water had a large effect on the life of these parts. A case for a filter I guess, but our water is usually pretty good stuff. The TM is from the midwest.