TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Default Leak at fresh water tank inlet

On our trip this week we were boondocking and filled the fresh water tank up completely. Shortly thereafter we noticed water seeping from the juncture of the fill hose and the tank. I tightened the radiator clamp and the seepage slowed but didn't stop. This isn't a huge issue because it only happens when the tank is totally full, but I'd still like to fix it. I was thinking about pulling the hose off, applying "pipe dope", and reattaching. Has anyone else dealt with this and come up with a fix?

Thanks,
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
PopBeavers

I haven't had the problem but here are a few thoughts:

1. Make sure that the leak is where the hose attaches to the fitting and not where the fitting is attached to the tank. These are different problems.

2. If there is sufficient extra length in the filler hose, try cutting off about an inch. Mabe there is a small hairline crack at the end of the hose.

3. Before attaching the hose back to the fitting place the end in some very hot water for a while to soften it. You may be able to cinch the clamp down tighter if it is a little softer.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
Goodyear Travels

Default Seepage Happens

I, too, have seepage problems. Sounds more like a medical issue. Anyway, I managed to squeeze a 2nd hose clamp beside the first -- and still contacted the fitting with both. I was surprized to see that the seepage continued although the volume was reduced. I believe that the hose material, itself, is quite hard and stiff. This may be part of our problem. The pipe dope might work or maybe some tight wraps of teflon tape around the length of the tank fitting. Or -- what about a mildew resistance, 50 year silicone ? I'm not very excited about switching the hose to a softer material. Also, my TM is not readily accessible right now so I can't experiment with you. Please let us know how you resolved the problem. We can't be the only ones with seepage.
Eric
Old 03-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

We've also had a seepage problem under two conditions: 1) when filling the fresh water tank some seepage occurs at the connection between the fill hose and the tank neck; 2) if the fresh tank is full before we start out on a trip, there is a small amount of water on the top of the fresh tank (from road bounce?).

Not sure if I would use any type of chemical sealant that might come in contact with the potable water.

Our solution (so far) is not to fill the fresh water right to the top and keep a few paper towels around the neck when filling the fresh water tank.

The seepage is very small . . . but somewhat annoying. Tightening the radiator clamp has not stopped the seepage.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Be sure not to tighten the clamp so much that you crush the filler neck on the tank. Big trouble if you do.

As I recall, the hose is corrugated, like dryer hose. A steel slinky covered by a layer of plastic. Very flexible, but hard to clamp because of the inherent gap between adjacent spirals of the slinky. You might consider putting a layer of something soft and deformable between the inside of the hose and the filler tube, to fill the gap. Maybe a layer of foam tape from the weather-proofing department of the hardware store, or something like that.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to use a small dollop of the silicone caulk that is used around kitchen sinks. Once cured, the stuff is pretty innocuous - and it is, after all, used in food prep areas.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I had the same problem. I solved it by purchasing a short length of clear reinforced tubing from Lowes.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Bookworm

We too have discovered water seepage when filling the freshwater tank - the leak rate isn't affected by how full or empty it is. Our 2007 3124KS is new as of August 2006 and barely used so it came from the factory that way!! Bill let us know how you decide to fix your leak.

Barbara
Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I pulled the fill tube off, applied a small bead of the silicone caulk for sinks, and replaced the tube. The fit was pretty tight so most of the caulk rode up and made a fillet around the neck of the tube when I pushed it back on and tightened the hose clamp. I let it dry overnight and tonight there was no seepage when I filled the tank to test it. Remains to be seen how it stands up to travel vibration but it seems fixed for now.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
Berkly

Ive got the exact same problem. I took the new 07 2619 to the dealer yesterday and should know today how they fixed it. Replacing the hose sounds like a good option. I dont know why they would use a spiral hose like they do. It dosent make a good enough connection to prevent seepage.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I assume they used the spiral hose to keep it from collapsing at the bends since it's pretty large diameter. But, I agree, a better way to attach it seems called for.