TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by househunterlives View Post
But my duaghter still isn't going, thinks it well fall in on her
When the kids were little, we always camped with them, first in a cabover camper, then in tents, then moved back "up" to a 1960's trailer (I don't know how we fit 4 people in there) and now we've had our TM for over 8 years.

One summer we found a "new" place to camp, beautiful campsites right on the lake in N. Ca. We drove all day, were lucky enough to actually find a campsite, but when DD got a look at the pit toilets, she got back into the Aloha and had a big snit about the toilets and wouldn't come out for a few hours.

Now every year, if she gets the chance, she heads back up to that lake and tent camps with her friends (and uses the pit toilets).

Don't give up yet, all it takes is a good time camping with the family and most likely she'll really start liking that TM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

also mention that with the beds in place after opening the roofs, there is virtually no way for the roofs to close again. With the bathroom walls up, there is no way the roof will close due to the bed is in the way and the bed cannot move due to the bathrooms walls in place....

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
We use a 3' level at each point, front, back bumber and side to side. The TM even has buble levels on it to double check before opening it. Each time I move it and set it up I get better at getting it level.
Before long, I think you will decide that this kind of levelling is time-consuming overkill.

When my wife and I pull into a campsite, we eyeball the TM. If we think we will need to do some side-to-side levelling, I put a 6-inch carpenter's level on the frame cross-member near the propane tanks in front, and then pull the TM forward or back onto chunks of board (other members use stackable plastic levelling blocks). Then I chock the wheels, turn the level fore-and-aft on a frame rail, and level it fore-and-aft with the tongue jack. I do all this before opening the shells, then lower the stabilizer jacks to prevent the shifting weight of the shells from disturbing the level position.

Most of the time, we don't even use the little level. My wife and I have gotten pretty good at eyeball levelling, and I bet you will, too.

I guess my point is that the setup time you describe in your first post is way too long, and the use of a 3-foot level to do pinpoint levelling is an example of things that will go away, leaving a much shorter setup time. You will find many operations that can be shortened or eliminated. My wife and I can do a complete trailer setup, inside and out, including levelling, interior setup, and utility hookups, in about 10 minutes. That time is extended by another 10 minutes because we carry a bunch of stuff in the tow vehicle that I need to moved into the trailer - but you might not need to do that.

Don't let your first day out discourage you too badly It might take half a dozen outings, simple ones are OK, to let you know what is really in store. Meanwhile, welcome aboard.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience, like the others say, it took us 3 or 4 times to get it all figured out, we can be completly setup in about 20 minutes. I was wondering...you do have the unit pretty level when you open it don't you? A little off, can make a BIG difference in effort required.
Best to you no matter what you do....
Setting up is quick. We typically have our adult children with us. That is an additional 4 adults. I have found that stuff comes out a little at a time but has to go back in all at once. It is faster to unload 3 motorcycles and 3 ATVs than it is to load them. It is easier to take the Honda 2000 generator out of the truck than it is to put it in.

As I recall, somewhere in the past someone posted that the leave the front of the TM a little bit low to make it a bit easier to raise the front shell and then crank up the tongue to make the rear a little bit low to make it easier to lift the rear shell. Then level it front to back.

Before my wife would by the TM she insisted on testing to see if she could raie and lower the shells. She had no trouble. I can lift then with my left hand only, being right handed. If it is much harder than this then an adjustment of the support arms is in order.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
PopBeavers

Quote:
The noodles did help a lot to keep some of the draffs out. The smaller dia noodles works best and I think those are the ones I got from Dollar Tree. When not in use I just toss them on the floor so that is the first thing I grab going into the TM.
We had a draft from behind the closet. I fixed that by flipping the exterior latch and drilling a new hole that was about 1/4 inch tighter. I have to lean into the upper rear shell to engage the latch.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
PopBeavers

Regarding how level the TM is, I am rather well know around here for stating that I make the TM so level that I can fry and egg in the middle of the pan, though since 1995 I have never fried an egg.

If you find that the TM rocks more than you like I have a post about how I chock the TM. Both of these are posted somewhere under my name. I joined in Spring 1995, so it is no further back that 1995. You may have to select the archives.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

For leveling the TM, DW watches the two bubble levels I mounted on the front shell, one in middle front and one on the curb side. She has gotten so good at it she can tell you if a one or two inch board is needed from the bubbles them selves. If you don't have a level place at home take the TM to a large parking lot. Check the ones you said are mounted on it against you 3 foot level and you will probably find they are close enough. The refrig is the most critical item and it only needs to be within 3 degrees curb side to street side and 6 front to rear if I remember correctly. Also open the top half door before raising or lowering the shells that way the weather stripping on the door doesn't drag on the rear shell. That last is a countrygrl tip.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
househunterlives

Default Neat trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
For leveling the TM, DW watches the two bubble levels I mounted on the front shell, one in middle front and one on the curb side. She has gotten so good at it she can tell you if a one or two inch board is needed from the bubbles them selves. If you don't have a level place at home take the TM to a large parking lot. Check the ones you said are mounted on it against you 3 foot level and you will probably find they are close enough. The refrig is the most critical item and it only needs to be within 3 degrees curb side to street side and 6 front to rear if I remember correctly. Also open the top half door before raising or lowering the shells that way the weather stripping on the door doesn't drag on the rear shell. That last is a countrygrl tip.
Thanks for the tip on opening the door. Never would have thought about that. I just finish washing her down and trying to detail the outside and the inside. DW did a great job clean the inside. Looks like a new TM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
househunterlives

Default Drafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
We had a draft from behind the closet. I fixed that by flipping the exterior latch and drilling a new hole that was about 1/4 inch tighter. I have to lean into the upper rear shell to engage the latch.
It funny that you mention drafts. That is the other disappointment in the TM is the drafts. So are you squeez the sides in closer?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
rumbleweed

Get yourself two swimming pool noodles to put in the spaces between the upper shell wall ans the head and foot of the bed. Will help with drafts etc.