TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
TrailGuy77

Question Tow Mirror Extension Recommendation

Hi Everyone!
After getting by with my stock mirrors for quite some time on my 2005 Toyota Tundra,I am now ready for some tow mirror extensions.I want something that fits snugly over the stock mirror.I am thinking about a brand called Longview sold by etrailer.com for $69.95.They slide over the stock mirrors and are held in place by a hook and knob.Anyone used these? If so,what do you think of them?
I have tried the "strap on" type in the past on my old toyota truck and TM,but they vibrate too much.I think the "McKesh mirrors would be an overkill for me.I kind of like the "slide,hook and knob type".Seems like they would be pretty solid going down the road and provide enough of an extension for towing a TM.
Anyway,what's your guys opinion on this subject? What "brand" or "type" do you use?

Thanks,
TrailGuy77

TM:2010 3023,Electric Tongue Jack
TV:2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4x4 V8-Doug Thorley Headers,Gibson 2 1/2" Exhaust,Draw-Tite Brake Controller,Eaz-Lift 1000 LB WDH
Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I've used the Longview slide-on mirrors for about two years. They are easy to install and remove and definitely increase visibility. I do notice slight vibration which is transferred from the OEM mirrors.

Check these two photos in my profile - they show the slide-on mirrors installed:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...php?albumid=29

Overall I am happy with these mirrors. They are much better than the strap-on type.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

When we bought our TM, I too hesitated to buy the Mckesh mirrors. A bit large, ugly, overkill, and a tad pricey.

So I didn't buy them. Instead, I bought another pair. I don't know if they were the exact same ones as you are talking about, but they were slip-on mirrors with a hook and knob from etrailer for about that same price. They were supposedly made specifically for a range of vehicles, and my vehicle, the 2005 Sequoia -- basically the same vehicle as yours -- fell within that range. I didn't like them. They vibrated going down the road, making it very difficult to see anything in the mirror. When attempting to tighten them, I felt like I was going to break the vehicle mirror. Generally seemed of low quality construction.

So I sent them back and ordered the McKesh mirrors. High quality construction, they don't vibrate, and I can see more than I could with the first pair, which is always a good thing. Forgot about the difference in price (maybe $70?) a long time ago, and don't regret the purchase at all. After ~10,000 miles towing with them, I'd buy 'em again if I needed. With the optional convex mirrors installed on both sides, I have zero blind spots.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We have the Cipa mirrors:
http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11300-Toy...tive&carId=001

They sound a lot like what you are describing. They snap & screw very tightly onto the factory mirrors and we have no vibration at all on ours.

I'm not sure if I would "recommend" them for your vehicle. I think that my full-size Chevy P/U might be about the same width as your TV and these mirrors are just barely adequate for towing. In fact, I don't believe that I ever look at them while on the road because they don't show me a whole lot more than the factory mirrors. Notice the small size of the extended mirror.

Where they do come in handy is backing. I can see the entire side of the trailer with these mirrors and I can't with the factory mirrors. If my vehicle were any narrower, I wouldn't be able to see the entire side of the camper and backing would be difficult. I leave my mirrors on all the time because I only use the truck for towing.

I just don't want the hassle of the McKesh mirrors. It's just another thing to deal with, when preparing to leave. I am very much into eliminating "Steps" at the moment.....not adding them. Although I admit that the McKesh mirrors do have a very much better field of vision and would allow you see closer behind the trailer.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

McKesh mirrors have a reputation for being a hassle to put on and take off - undeserved, in my opinion. Initial adjustment of the extension arm length, and the diagonal support arm length, takes perhaps 5 minutes - but once done, it never has to be done again.

Once these initial adjustments are done, the mirrors go on in about 5 seconds each, and come off in less. Perhaps I should make a video. You-Tube, here I come!

At least one of our members (PopBeavers?) has found it to be inconvenient to adjust the mirror heads for different-size drivers, and I agree that would be annoying. I guess my wife and I are close enough to the same size that a minor tweak takes care of it. In this arena, YMMV.

Big and unattractive they may be, but I wouldn't settle for less when I'm on the road and really need to see what's what and who's where, and do it at a glance. I've not seen anything as good as them, and for $100 a pair, they seem like a good investment.

Just my opinion and experience.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I agree with Bill. Now that the McKesh mirrors are adjusted (a one-time thing during first install), it takes me 30 seconds to put on each mirror. Piece of cake.

Dave
Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Al-n-Sue

If you are interested, I have a pair of Eagle Vision mirrors (Camping World clone of McKesh) for sale. See

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=9695

I agree with Bill, initial setup may be a bit time consuming, but once adjusted, they just strap on and you are good to go.
Alan
Old 04-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
TrailGuy77

Thank You to all who have responded to my post!
It looks like I might have to think this one out somemore.I am kind of in Harveyrv's shoes.I really don't have a problem towing with the stock mirrors adjusted outwards,but backing up is a different story,just can't see far enough out.The McKesh mirrors are "huge" and would be another thing to have to store.I don't think I would want to drive around with them on once I am "unhooked".But,there are pros and cons with "everything".I am now leary to buy the "Longviews" since ShrimpBurrito had trouble with vibration and owns a Sequoia which is very similar to my Tundra.Cipa makes some "slip on" ones for the 2007-2010 Tundra,which is a bigger truck than mine.Sounds like the "McKesh" would probably "function" the best though!
Ah,decisions,decisions......
Any other opinions? Please,feel free to chime in!

TrailGuy77

TM:2010 3023,Electric Tongue Jack
TV:2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4x4 V8-Doug Thorley Headers,Gibson 2 1/2" Exhaust,Draw-Tite Brake Controller,Eaz-Lift 1000 LB WDH
Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Just checked my order confirmation from 2007. These were the ones I had....same price as the ones you are talking about.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-CTM4000.html

Dave
Old 04-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
BrianS

Only one word needed "McKesh" are the finest period.