TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
ragmopp

Default pilot light on oven

I have had a problem with the pilot light on the oven. It goes off periodically. We can light it and it works for awhile, but leave it for a period of time and it goes out. It appears to me to be a very small flame. Is it possible to adjust this thing?
And if so, how is it done?

Mike Anderson
Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't think you can adjust the flame size, but you can adjust the position of the thermocouple tip. That's the little thing that is supposed to be heated in the pilot light flame. When it is hot, it allows gas to flow to the pilot light. If it gets cold, it cuts off the gas. This is a safety thing, of course. Make sure that it is centered in the flame, so that it is "bathed" in the flame.

If the thermocouple is at the side of the flame, it may stay hot enough for a while, but random air currents may allow it to cool for a moment - at which point it cuts off the gas.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
ng2951

Have you made sure the pilot tip is clean?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
ragmopp

Bill - thanks for the tip, when I take it out of storage, I will check it out (very soon I hope).

NG2951 - Considering the oven has only been used a couple of times since I bought the trailer last year, I hope it isn't dirty. BUT, I will check that out also.

Mike
Old 07-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Joe Verrastro

You mean the oven pilot light is supposed to stay lit once you light it? We've only used our trailmanor 4 times and we always use the oven. One time the oven kept turning off for no apparent reason. There was no pilot light on. Luckily I had a think oven mitt because I had to reach waaaayyyy back in a hot oven to relight the pilot. My dealer told me to turn on the gas valves outside very slowly to help eliminate the oven going out. But if the pilot should stay lit, mine never seems to. As soon as I turn off the gas, the pilot goes out too. Would be nice to have it stay on for the weekend.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
PopBeavers

Instead of turning the oven knob to the off position, turn it to the next position, which is pilot.

I nver do that. i just light it each time we use it. On of these days I will all an electric igniter for the oven. i don't need one for the stove, but bending down to light the pilot isn't getting any easier.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Fdxflyer

I recently tried to use our oven and the pilot light would not light at all although I could manually light the main burner. Turns out it was the gas valve in the stove that controls the oven. It was a simple matter to replace. In the process I learned the silver colored sensor in the oven area (not the thermocouple) which is attached to that valve must be mounted in it's bracket to make the valve work (grounded?). That sensor comes with the valve and I initially tried to test the valve without the sensor mounted and nothing in the oven worked.