TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
Gary&Mary

Default Leaks! Leaks! Leaks!

Thought this might help some of you. Several weeks ago we were in our 2007 2720SL and got caught in the rain and flooding in the Atlanta area. Had to deploy three buckets and two towels in the living room. Every roof penetration was leaking including the antenna.

Realizing that all the vents and A/C are interconnected with wiring chases through the foam sandwich panels I suspected that one big leak, like at the A/C, might be migrating to the vents.

At home I pulled the A/C and, sure enough, the evidence was right there. First, the plastic skirt over the elevated curb was caulked all around, not allowing any water that did get in to leave. Dirty areas on the roof panel inside the skirt perimeter evidenced water puddling inside the skirt. Any accumulation at all would get into any sealnat failures of the elevated curb.

Next, the elevated curb was sunk down like a shallow bowl which would allow rain to puddle. The plastic skirt has a 1/2" lip at the A/C opening area to help prevent any water migration that gets past the seal. The seal I found in place was thinner than the height of the lip which means the A/C bottom pan was sitting on the skirt lip and not even touching the seal.

So, water was puddling on the sunken skirt and flowing over the skirt lip into the interior.

To repair all the defects, I first sealed well around the elevated curb-to-roof joint. Then I leveled the elevated curb with Bondo and placed the plastic skirt on the curb with adhesive sealant. I did not seal around the skirt-to-roof-joint. I installed a new gasket which is 1" thick and well above the lip of the skirt and tightened the A/C unit down snugly but not enough for it to touch the skirt lip. Haven't done a field test yet but will report back when I do.

I'm convinved water from the A/C leaks was moving through the wire chases to the vents. Hopefully my field test will prove this.

I am astounded at the errors I found in the A/C installation.

When repairing the antenna I found the rubber seal and washers on the vertical shaft completely missing.

I purchased this unit new in 2007.