TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
J_Norris
Site Sponsor

We bought a used motorcycle and had it registered and insured for years in Wyoming before moving to Arizona. When we got here and brought it in for inspection/registration we found that 1 digit on the VIN had been off apparently all along for the title and registration and insurance (or at least as far back as the previous owner). The AZ DMV folks gave us a VIN certification/inspection paper and then they printed a new title with the correct VIN without a hassle. It is strange if multiple digits are off and there is not an obvious reason how they could have been mistaken.

Or there could be a nefarious hidden history to your Trailmanor; that would be a much more fun explanation.

Good luck

Jodi
Tacoma 4-door long-bed
J_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Cynical

I hope there is nothing nefarious about it, LOL. The folks at the TN State Vehicle Services office have been very helpful. I had to send the title and all supporting documentation back to the guy I purchased it from, he took it into his local office, who then contacted the main office. Brandon explained how they needed to file the paperwork and hopefully everything is rolling. I should know more Friday or early next week, so my fingers are crossed.

A new title will be issued to the previous owner who will then have to sign it over to me and send it back down to AL. A hassle no doubt, but at least it seems to be getting done. I will when it (yet to be named) finally has AL plates on it!
Cynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Splash

I know this is a year old discussion but I am interested in your solution, Cynical, if you are still around. I have a similar problem...

In 2001 I bought a new 2001 TM 3023 from a Colorado dealer, and for 18 years it was running on US public roads under the VIN on the dealer sales slip. I sold it last year to a person in New Mexico and the new owner tried to get it titled but couldn't because they found that the stamped VIN was different (as the seller, I feel terrible about this) . I called Colorado DMV and they are saying I have to bring the trailer back to Colorado and get a certified VIN check in the county it was titled, and then resell it. That's a lot of wasted gas.

Did you somehow get this done with affidavits or other paperwork ? I wonder if the difference is that you were 2 owners past the original. I have all the sales paperwork but neither the dealer nor original TM exists any more, and the new TM manufacturers never got old paperwork sent from the original mfr.

Vin check is hopefully now required everywhere for titling but in 2001 it was not (and crap like this is likely why it IS required now) . My paperwork shows "serial number" which, as a much younger and maybe stupider person (debatable whether I'm any smarter now), I did not equate serial number with Vin and never dreamed that it might be wrong from the original manufacturer.

Looks like 2001 a bad year for TM Vin standards.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The VIN on a TM appears in at least three places. Did you find them all? Do they all agree?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title, vin