TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Question I know this has been asked before BUT

We are going to the mountains for our sons Birthday & Thanksgiving. I have read as many post as I can find on winter camping. I just wanted to ask if anyone has anything new to ad for advice on winter camping. I don't expect extreme cold but according to camp ground we could have some freezing weather.

We have already purchased Swim Noodles for extra insulating back in the summer.

Also we have tested our furnace & it does work & we have plans on changing the thermostat to a digital one for better accuracy. We already have a ceramic heater but from what I have read most prefer a oscillating ceramic heater so we probably will purchase one this week.

I did check the amp usage on my heater & it was about 10 amps so running two with other stuff would probably trip the breaker. I think the oscillating heater will spread heat more evenly too.

We purchased MaxxAir vent covers so we could vent the TM even with in-climate weather for condensation & our dog while we are gone.

I have removed the outside shower head.

I have plans on adding a little extra insulation over the wheel wells.

We also already have Travasaks which we really like so far. For those that use Travasaks do you also carry extra blankets for cold nights?

We also plan on having some RV Antifreeze on hand for drains.

We plan on keeping the Grey water tank drained so it doesn't get the chance to freeze.

We will either 1. disconnect fresh water hose at night & use the 40 gal tank for the night or 2. Consider letting a faucet drip to keep water flowing.

I have never used the fresh Water tank so I assume I need to sanitize it. Are there any special ways this needs to be done?

All in all it seems that the TM will be fairly easy to winter camp in. My wifes real concern is staying warm. From th post I have read the furnace uses alot of LP so we definitely need a good ceramic heater I guess.

I have learned allot here since joining Thanks to all who have contributed.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Scott O

We absolutely love our heated mattress pad.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We love our down comforter...bought a new one for the house, the old one stays in the TM (in a plastic bag).

Nice and warm, king size.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
We absolutely love our heated mattress pad.
I thought about something like that but thought two of those along with heater, Computers etc may trip breaker. I have started testing all the electrics for amp pull because we did trip the main breaker one time on our first trip never did figure out how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
We love our down comforter...bought a new one for the house, the old one stays in the TM (in a plastic bag).

Nice and warm, king size.
We was very comfortable with the Travasaks first trip not sure how warm they will be or if the winter side really makes a difference but we will find out soon

2008 3023

Old 11-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Scott O

If you look at the way the TM is constructed, you will see that a huge amoung of cold can come up from below. We find that what we put under us is as important as what we put over us! And by the way, we love our Travasak...
Old 11-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Scott do y'all use your Travasaks winter side down or winter side up?

2008 3023

Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

I think you've covered all the bases. FWIW, the heated mattress pad was one of the best improvements we made for cold weather camping - we stay in that bed as long as we possibly can. Make sure you bring slippers or something for your feet - that floor is cold in the morning! Disconnecting the fresh water hose in freezing temperatures at night is a good idea. Ours froze solid one night and we had to thaw it out in the tub - a messy proposition. Make sure both propane tanks are filled - depending how cold it is and what temp you have the thermostat set at, you can go through a tank of propane pretty quickly. We also try and use the oven for baking when it's cold. We like some things about winter camping - no bugs!!

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
ragmopp

Regarding the Travasack....

We purchased a couple of those fleece throws to put over the Trasack when it gets cold. Even the winter side isn't adequate for us.....Others maybe won't need them. Actually, what we do is just keep them over our feet and if it gets too cold pull them up in the middle of the night...

Mike Anderson
Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Scott O

We keep the winter side of the Travasak down to provide more insulation from below. It is easier to add blankets on top if needed. We also find wearing socks to bed helps perhaps more than anything else!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
grakin

We sleep in two sleeping bags zipped together in ours. They are summer weight sleeping bags, good for year-round in the TM. On the bed, we have a blanket and comforter that stays *under* us and the sleeping bags. That's enough to keep us warm in just about any weather.