TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2014, 01:20 AM   #21
Riwright
TrailManor Master

+1

The mount is solid.

You could angle if you wanted. Once you get the thing it's easy to do "test fittings" before you screw down the floor plate.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #22
stormpeakco

Default F/U two years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riwright View Post
I recently removed the Thetford Electramagic and installed another Thetford product, the "Curve."

Photo album of the install:

http://photobucket.com/albums/rr297/...t/Public/Curve

Thetford's product page:

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCT...6/Default.aspx

A couple of videos:
http://youtu.be/w0lJ6FbmdCM
http://youtu.be/RwNFB6NVGf4

It is similar to the Thetford Porta Potti in operation. It holds 4 gallons of fresh water and 5.5 gallons in the black tank.

There are two parts to the unit. The top part consists of the seat, the bowl and an integrated fresh water tank. There is a button that operates a battery powered flush pump. The bottom part is the black tank. It has a blade valve that separates the black tank and the bowl. There is a spout that is used to dump the waste and a button to release air to let the black tank empty smoothly.

It holds 4 gallons of fresh water and 5,5 gallons of black.

There is no connection to the dump valve below the trailer. When the toilet becomes full you remove the top part and set it in the tub. You then walk the black tank to a permanent toilet and dump. Similar to a cassette toilet in operation.

Since the entire unit comes out, it is easy to clean. You can put it in the yard and hose it down if you like.

You will need:
3/4 plywood at least 16 X 19 (used to make a riser)
Kilz spray sealer/primer
Grey spray paint
Sandable and paintable wood filler
Coarse, medium and fine sandpaper - sandpaper drums that fit a drill are nice or you can use a wood block
Jigsaw with a fine blade
Carpenter's pencil
Sharp knife
3" plastic test cap (I didn't use a black rubber one, it stuck up too much)
Silicon adhesive
Grey caulking
Rubber Mallet
Drill bits
Drill
Thetford Curve
Thetford Hold Down plate for the Curve
A bucket of chicken

To install you first need to remove the old toilet. Study Bill's document, it is a good guide. The only thing I ran into was the little wedges were installed backwards. Study the doc and feel around and you'll see which way yours are facing.

I was concerned about releasing an unspeakable evil that must remain sealed for all time when removing the old toilet. The Internet said to sacrifice a small bird. I was unable to catch one. I bought a bucket of chicken. It seemed to do the trick.

Seal off the old toilet flange with a plastic test cap and some silicon. Cap off the old wires and spray paint the marks on the back wall (Rustoleum Antique White). Remove the closet bolts that are sticking up. Remove the plastic piece that keeps the foot of the old toilet stable.

Cut a piece of 3/4 plywood to a 16 X 19 rectangle. You want something that covers the entire area where the toilet might go. Set the plywood into place and bang hard with a rubber mallet. The screws for the toilet flange will make marks in the plywood.

Using the marks as a guide cut out a hole for the flange. Put the plywood back in place and drop it over the flange.

Put the hold-down plate on the bottom of the toilet. Fit the toilet into position and mark the position of the hold-down plate on the plywood with a carpenter's pencil.

Position is important. The lever for the blade valve is on the bathtub side. There is a toilet paper holder there if you want to use it (I didn't see much use for it.) There is a latch that separates the two halves in the back. Put the toilet far enough out from the wall to get to it.

The toilet needs to be a little to the right (away from the tub) as you face it. Don't center it over the flange, you won't be able to operate the blade valve. Don't put it so far away from the tub that the bathtub side of the toilet is not well supported or the hole for the flange is exposed.

Pull the plywood up. Score the plywood with a knife to minimize splintering. Cut out the plywood with a jigsaw using a fine blade. Rough sand the edges and make sure the plywood is the same shape as the plate.

Take the wood filler and smear it over the edges of the plywood. Let it dry and sand it very smooth with fine sandpaper.

Remember that only the very front part really shows so focus your efforts there.

Paint the plywood with at least two coats with Kilz sealer and primer. Get all surfaces and edges including the hole for the flange. You want to protect it from water as much as you can. Paint with gray spray paint, two coats.

Install the plywood riser and the hold-down plate using four screws long enough to penetrate well into the floor of the trailer.

Using a gray latex caulk, caulk the seam between the riser and the floor and the riser and the hold-down plate. Clean off any excess.

Once it all dries you're done.
Thanks Riwright for the extensively detailed post with photos. (sorry, sent you a pm but there is no archive of me sending it out).

1) any follow up on your experience with the curve in 2 years?
2) why did you elect to not remove the external black pipe circuit once the previous recirc unit was removed?
3) sorry, I did not find the link that you mentioned "Bill's document"...re: thetford recirc removal. thanks. Dave
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #23
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Dave, I also have had my "Curve" for about two years and have been very satisfied with it. I left my plumbing in place as well, cause I kept the Electra magic to give the next owner the choice of toilets.

We do a lot of boondocking, so the curve is very easy to remove, go empty and recharge every three to five days.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #24
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

this is good to hear r.t. c. I just installed a curve in a project camper, an old scotty highlander, so next week will be our first trip out with it, any tips I should know? looks pretty straight forward.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #25
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyhotel View Post
this is good to hear r.t. c. I just installed a curve in a project camper, an old scotty highlander, so next week will be our first trip out with it, any tips I should know? looks pretty straight forward.
Like you say, Randy, it's pretty straight forward. I do also carry a collapsible two wheel dolly to haul the black tank around. First time out with the curve the CG toilet was far from our site and up hill, so now it's no problem with dolly.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #26
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

tks , good hint, I sure am getting older , and know it where my Advil?

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #27
OregonTrail
Site Sponsor

We also used Riwright's detailed instructions to switch to the Thetford Curve in our 2720SL. Bill's post HERE on removing the recirculating toilet was also very helpful.

Like Redtail Cruiser, we wanted easy dumping when boondocking, which is what we normally do. We also have a folding cart to help roll the tank to a toilet, which makes easy work of the job. I just take along some nitrile gloves and a small bottle of water with some liquid soap to swish in it after emptying.

For even easier cleaning, I spray and wipe down the bowl with RainX. I use the RainX made for plastic surfaces but some say the regular formula works, too. In general, it is very easy to keep clean we have not experienced any odor from the Curve in the Trailmanor while camping.

Also, like Redtail Cruiser, we left the black pipe in case someone wanted to reinstall the recirculating toilet in the future. We definitely won't be putting it back because we love the convenience of the Curve. It works perfectly for my family and the way we camp.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #28
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonTrail View Post
For even easier cleaning, I spray and wipe down the bowl with RainX. I use the RainX made for plastic surfaces but some say the regular formula works, too. In general, it is very easy to keep clean we have not experienced any odor from the Curve in the Trailmanor while camping.

I bet the RainX would work on the regular Thetford toilet also. Great idea.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #29
stormpeakco

Default Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
I bet the RainX would work on the regular Thetford toilet also. Great idea.
Folks, thank you for everyone's feedback. Like many who have made the transition to the curve, we are planning to do mostly dry camping. Hadn't thought about leaving the exterior black tank plumbing for the next potential owners (still thinking of removing all exterior black water remnants, to part or give away out?). Thanks for Bill's link.

The wheel size on the cart must be considerable. Is it possible for someone to post a photo (or web link) of your fold up cart solution (if it is too long of a distance to tote 50 lbs, is it too cumbersome to instead drive it over to the pit or CG toilet in the TV?)?
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:57 AM   #30
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Personal...ble+hand+truck

This is the cart I have. Works well on all surfaces except soft sand or mud. Use it to haul water refills also. When boondocking I use TV to get to gas station or CG and still use cart, may not be for everybody but works for me