TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Cynical

Unhappy New to me 3124

Picked up a 2002 3124KS on Saturday! Finally found something within 200 miles and under the $5K arbitrary budget I had set. It pulled flawlessly behind my 2016 Colorado Z71. I have a Prodigy brake controller, but I don't think anything was really happening. I was not able to adjust it to where the brakes locked up to be able to back them off etc. etc., but I did not spend a lot of time messing with it. Also, once I got it home and finally in place, I am STRUGGLING to get it pulled up going. Now I was extremely hot and tired at this point, but geesh.

I know it is level and I do not have the stabilizers in play at all at the moment, so I am not sure if I need to just practice or if adjustments are in my future. The entry door was a BEAR to get set up and will NOT latch closed, I am holding it closed with the delron travel latch at the moment. I also can not seem to get the steps to pull out, something so simple!!!

I am hoping to spend some time with it in the cooler morning hours tomorrow, hopefully I will have better luck then. I am looking so forward to this, but I have to get the important things working right before I can move on to anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	17142  
Cynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm not sure I'm following your first paragraph, but you will not be able to lock up the brakes. Nobody can, and that is just as well, since locked brakes can cause the trailer to jackknife on you. However, when you come to a stop, the braking should not feel too different from braking in your Colorado alone. The Prodigy will indicate any of several possible fault conditions, such as Shorted Brakes (an electrical short in the wires) or No Connection. Does the Prodigy give you any message, such a Connected? If the Prodigy doesn't indicate a problem, then you will need to be sure that the braking voltage actually shows up at the 7-pin Bargman connector on the Colorado. And if everything else is good, you will probably have adjust or replace the brakes - neither is a very hard thing to do.

The entry door should be easy to set up - are you sure that the two pins on the top of the lower door are snapping into the spring clips at the sides? Sometimes they miss the clips, and that will make the door hard to set up.

The step have to be lifted a bit before they will slide out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
Cynical

Thanks Bill.

Yes the door pins are in there respective place, but that was a chore in itself! To me the upper shell looks kind of "off" for lack of a better word. Been reading a lot on the forum here about different things to check between the main body box and the shell to verify plumb/parallelism, plan on doing some of that tomorrow if I can.

Going to double check how level it is, gaps between all the moving pieces, position of the lift arms as far as being straight up and down etc. I did notice when setting up, I was able to pull both halves further than they needed to hit the aluminum latch bars, had to shove each inward a good 1-1.5" to reach and there was ALOT of side to side movement involved to get them to hit the holes, is that normal?

I also realize I need to a lot of practice to get familiar with where everything needs to stop and put blocks or marks in position to repeat correctly at each set up. I think I actually pulled the front slide out too much and had to bump it up into the channel on one side, will be looking at that real close once I get the two halves under control.

As for the steps, I think I was just sow whooped at the time, nothing was working right. I have had a 5th wheel before that had the same kid of steps so I am not sure what the deal was, another thing to tackle when rested.

I see you post often here and I certainly appreciate all your insight. I am sure it will not be the last time we chat, lol.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Take a deep breath.....

Welcome Cynical

If you are not that familiar with the TrailManor you might want to watch these videos multiple times over before you do anything else. It’s a thread I started with a collection of videos that I found on the net when researching the TrailManor.

See this thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13969

It’s best to have a good nights sleep and not be exhausted when you are setting up the trailer when you are not familiar with it. You can easily force something (not a good idea) and cause problems that were not there previously.

You don’t give us much idea of your age, height, strength etc. and opening the front section can be difficult for a shorter or weaker person. But there are ways to counteract that. Work with gravity not against it.

Where you grab the section can make a difference. I try to grab as close to the center as possible with two hands spread about shoulder width apart. Don’t jerk it, but rather pull up as smoothly as possible with continuous pressure, kind of walking backwards to continue your leverage. The front section is always the hardest.

Once front shell is up and latched, I then go to the back shell and lift that one. Then I pull out the back bed, then go to front and pull out the slide.

Don’t jerk the slide. Pull out as uniformly as possible using equal pressure on both sides. That is what the handle is for. TIP: use an RV slide dry lubricant spray on the channels of the slide. It’s amazing how much easier it makes it to pull out.

Watch in the video to see specifically how the doors work. If you don’t do it right is won’t work or fit well.

Again I suggest you watch the videos multiple times before you go messing with adjustments or you might make things worse.

It’s probably just newbie mistakes. We have all been there. The goal is to not cause problems that don’t really exist, but just seem like problems because of lack of experience.

You will get the hang of it and come to love this trailer as much as the rest of us do.

Good luck and keep us posted.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:21 AM   #5
Cynical

Thank you so much, I will follow your link. The well rested part is true, I managed to get the steps out no problem and I finally got the door as well. I had to lift the entry door up significantly to get the latch to line up with the hole in the striker as the bottom aft corner of door seems to be sagging a bit.

I will review the thread you listed and press on. I am sure I will have my next round of questions shortly,
Old 07-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

The lower short hinged panel of my entry door is significantly warped. I don't know how it got that way.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
Thank you so much, I will follow your link. The well rested part is true, I managed to get the steps out no problem and I finally got the door as well. I had to lift the entry door up significantly to get the latch to line up with the hole in the striker as the bottom aft corner of door seems to be sagging a bit.

I will review the thread you listed and press on. I am sure I will have my next round of questions shortly,
The dry lubricant works very well on the steps also. I have found many good uses for it.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2002 3124ks, heavy opening, misaligned entry