TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
kempert
Site Sponsor

Question Door rattles & related ?s

When I open & close my door it rattles. It rattles the most when its 45 degrees open. I've also found that the space between the top & bottom is wider at this point than when it's open or closed. As you open the door, the gap gets wider then smaller. I've adjusted doors in my house before to take care of sagging problems but I'm not sure what to do for this. Also, I can see outside at the door jam on the bottom of both halves of the door (when closed, of course), even after replacing the weatherstripping. When I close the door, I can feel that the door is snug. Any suggestions?

BTW - When I head south in a couple of weeks, I'm going to visit a friend in Kingsport, TN and plan to go to Lake City for a plant tour. I'll see if they want to look over my unit. I'd think they would like to see one that's been used a lot in 4.5 years including long time use dry camping and travel over gravel roads.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Denny_A's fix of this problem

This may help:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=924
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
rooksroost

Another item that helps with this is to add a mechanical window latch to the door halves. Its standard on 2007 models. Got a latch at Lowes and with the adjustment of the angle brace the door stays together even if your not level.
Also adds a little security to the door. Moving the deadbolt to the upper half of the door adds a lot of security and your door will never come open while towing!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
hal

Kempert, If you are planning to have your TrailManor serviced at the factory, you should find your visit to be more convenient if you make an appointment. I don't believe the factory has a "service" department. If you are able to make an appointment, they will be expecting you and take care of your concerns.

Hal
Old 01-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
kempert
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Problems solved

I made an appointment to drop my TM on last Wed. morning. I got there at 9:15 and it was ready around 10:30. My door no longer rattles, the two halves fit together perfectly, and closes as "snug as a bug". They replaced the foam stripping around the door also. The upper half of the door now always stays shut including on a very rough section of I-10.

While they were working on it, I had breakfast at a nearby Cracker Barrel and then took a plant tour. They couldn't spend a lot of time on the tour as they were several people short due to illnesses. Still, I learned a lot and was amazed at how much of a TM is made right there in the plant. I found the whole process very interesting.

I'd told them that I'd lived in it for over a year of the 4.5 that I've owned it (including 2 months dry camping in the mtns. of western WY) and they were welcome to look around. They were interested in seeing how things have held up. They noticed that the frig latch was a little loose (I hadn't) and tightened it.

BTW - Thanks for the replies! My spring clips were not loose and after talking with Ed in Customer Services and decided to let them take care of it. Very glad that I did.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Thanks, Kempert.

It helps us all to know you were so well treated . We tend to be do-it-yourself-ers to a fault and don't remember that the factory is still a good bet for information and help (by phone as well as in person) when things go wrong.