TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-21-2002, 01:33 PM   #1
Chris_Bauer

Default Blue Tote Use

Well, there's a first time for everything. I hope I did the right thing.  I am at a friend's house in San Antonio for the next week (have been here for two weeks already).  I have been conservative on the toilet use but finally reached the "nearing the FULL mark".  So, since my friends don't have hookups, I went to the best RV store in Texas, "Texas RV Store", located on Austin Highway.  I bought a Blue Tote.  Being the cheapskate that I am, I purchased the 5 gallon tote, seeing that the holding tank is only 5 gallons.  I hooked up the hose and pulled the trigger.  

Apart from that, how do you dump a Blue Tote at a dump station?  The whole thing looks a bit awkward to me.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Holding tank on hold.
Chris
Old 10-22-2002, 02:12 AM   #2
Bruce

Default Re: Blue Tote Use

Chris,
    You may have an overfill problem with the 5 gal size. I think the toilet and tank may hold  up to 7 gals. when topped out. Just be ready to shut off the dump valve!

We have used our 10 gal blue tote only for dumping gray water so far. I fill it up. wrestle it into the van, (larger models have  an attachment to hook onto your tow vehicle's hitch) and then dump it by attaching a section of 4" sewer hose and lifting the handle on the tote to allow the waste water to run out to the dump hole.

Bruce
Old 10-22-2002, 05:34 AM   #3
Carol
Site Sponsor

Hi,

We use a 20 gal. blue toter to dump when not able to use a direct hookup or when we are staying in one place too long to travel to the dumping facility.  We used it at Rocky Mountain National Park last fall. My husband fashioned a tote hitch for it to travel behind the truck using wood and bolts. We also use it when parked in the driveway at home for extended periods, like this summer when we were remodeling our house. Then the dump site is a sewer outtake on our property, but quite a ways from where the trailer is set up.

The first step is to hook up the tote tank to your sewer hose and open the vent on the tote tank. Then, dump into the tote as usual, assuming you have enough capacity. 5 Gal will not be enough for the toilet, so 2 dumps will be needed. Use the gray water to flush the lines just like you do at a dump site, assuming tote capacity, of course.

At the dump station, hook your sewer hose to the tote, set the tote upright with the sewer hose at the bottom end and open the vent . Then, flush the tote using a regular garden hose, NOT your water safe hose. Our blue tote came with a short double ended hose to screw into the vent, that accepts a regular garden hose. We keep a short garden hose specifically for this purpose.  

The only problem we've had with this setup is getting the  tote tank completely empty since the sewer connection is on one side slightly above the bottom of the tank. We travel with the blue tote in the back of the pickup truck.

Good luck with your setup!

Carol
8)
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:04 AM   #4
Happytrails

For what it's worth, all houses are supposed to have a "cleanout" that you can use for this purpose. It should be outside, in, or near the driveway. Simply look for what looks just like the sewer hookup in the campgrounds. Just a thought!  

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 10-22-2002, 12:27 PM   #5

Default Re: full hook up @ camp site.

hi everybody,
we still have a little problem about procedure how to  hook up to sewer line at camp site. we bought a used 2619 TM and seller gave us 2 plastic hoses. one is gray color with one end able connect to drain hole and the other one is in brown color unable to hook up to anything . we still don't know to use that 2 hoses correctly!..or we need to buy another kit to connect to sewer line at camp site.... we don't have manual or any instructions book . can we buy from dealer?...
                        "Rooky" happy campers.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:47 PM   #6
Chris_Bauer

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice.  Carol, I did get the small one foot hose with the Blue Tote.  I ended up doing a double dump and then rinsing the toilet and dumping again.  

Happy Trails, most homes have a cleanout, this house the prior owner built a slab over the cleanout. I did look for one but ......

2619er, the hose is a standard hose with a plastic connection that fits the trailer connection. You connect the hose with the fitted connection to the trailer and slip the other end of the hose into the drain at the dump station or the park hookup.  If it is a park hookup, your gray water will constantly drain via the hose, and you can dump the toilet when full, followed by a gray water rinse. If you are "dry camping", at the dump station you pull the handle inside the bathroom, then the toilet drain on the outside, and follow with a rinse from the gray water.  The extra hose can be attached to create a longer hose by using a hose clamp, and there is a connector that they sell at all RV supply stores.

Am I making sense here?  

What are the laws regarding dumping gray water if you are using bio-degradable soap and detergent like Castile soap?  Can you dump that anywhere?  I know you can use that soap if you are bathing in a stream or lake without hurting the flora and fauna.  Any comments?  We follow the rules and know the consequences of attempting to dump in non-designated dump sites but just a general question.  In California, try dumping your  black water in a storm drain and the fine is $60,000 for hazardous cleanup (some people will try anything).   As they say here in Texas, "don't mess with Texas".
Old 10-23-2002, 01:13 AM   #7
arknoah

2619er,

What Chris B says is certainly right about connecting the hoses.  I'm wondering if perhaps the second hose you have is an extension in case you have to connect to the sewer hole from far away.  If that is the case, you would need a connection to join the hoses together.

Old 10-23-2002, 10:19 AM   #8

thank you everybody,
we just stoped at Metro RV (our local rv store) and bought few supplies for our first trip. also, buy a connectors for sewer hoses...now we feel more confident with our trip.....Chris! do you think we "really" need a WD hitch for our 2001 Nissan Pathfinder to tow 2619 TM ?
Old 10-23-2002, 01:47 PM   #9
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

2619er,

I can't speak for Chris, but I won't pull my 2720 without a WDH. I don't know what the tongue weight is for your trailer, but mine is around 550lbs with the 2 batteries and both LP tanks full. I was not going to use a WDH for my Blazer, and John at Dinuba RV said the choice was entirely up to me, so he lowered the tongue down onto my ball, and when the Blazer started to groan and squat, I was sold on WD. It is not only easier on the TV, it is a much safer way to tow. Please keep in mind that you do not want to exceed the GVWR in any case.

Just my .02
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:59 AM   #10
Chris_Bauer

Hey guys,

regarding the WDH and my Pathfinder, I wouldn't go anywhere without it.  Without the WDH you can see the strain on the rear end springs as you connect the TM. It almost groans.

It's proven safe and gives you a real piece of mind.  It was the best investment I have made.  After the first trip it is a breeze to connect.  You can really feel the difference driving.  

My two pesos.