TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
ToliMoli

Default WDH with Swing Hitch

Thanks for a great forum.

With luck, I'll soon own a 2720SL w/swing hitch. I've had several full-height travel trailers over the years so am familiar with set up of WDH.

Any suggestions/concerns in choosing the right WDH and mounting with swing hitch would be appreciated. I previously used an equal-i-zer brand. I liked the built in sway control, but as I remember was heavy as all get out.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

I've never heard anybody on this forum say that anti-sway is important for a TrailManor. I like the way my Reese was relatively inexpensive and allows a lot of adjustment.

Join the forum: You'll be able to find more stuff when you do.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
mtnguy

I think the consensus of a lot of the people on this forum is that an 800 lb. tongue weight hitch seems to work best. The 600 lb. has been tried, and the spring bars seem to be a little lite with a 500 or so tongue weight. 1200 lb. spring bars are overkill. We have the Reese 800 lb. square bar setup, and it works great.

Do a search on WDH and see what comes up.

Welcome to Trailmanor ownership !!!

Chap
Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
ToliMoli

Default WDH with Swing Hitch (redirect)

Thanks for reading my post and the replies.

My major concern is where the swing hitch breaks the tongue. It looks like it's about the same spot where the brackets for a WHD would mount. Unfortunately, I had no way to measure at the time I was looking. I'd prefer the Reese if it will mount beyond the break. If I were ordering a TM I probably would not opt for the swing hitch as I have no immediate need. This one has it so... here we go. I'm told it may help when/if I should sell it.

Thanks again.

(T)(M)
Old 09-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

There are a lot of people using weight distributing hitches with swing tongues. Try this thread for some discussion:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ighlight=swing
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
mkiley

Hello folks,

I have a Draw-Tite 3201 550lb Weight Distribution Hitch it worked just fine for about 9 trips. Then I went into the wrong driveway with the wrong slope and I heard a loud metallic "POP".

From what I could tell the large removable vertical pins on the swing hitch made contact with the WDH horizontal bar and ripped one of the WDH chain links wide open.

I'm not sure, but it makes sense to me that I should have purchased a higher pound rating on the WDH. I have the 550lb cranked so tight the bars come too close to the pins on the swing hitch, or so it seems.

I ordered the Reese 750lb roundbar from Camping World, and I'm looking forward to see if I get more clearance from the pins on the swing hitch.

- Mike
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Mckesh Mirrors
2005 Honda Pilot
mkiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There are a couple pix in post #5 of this thread

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3665

that may show you how it all comes together. The pics are pretty busy, but if you study them a bit you'll see everything. I have no sway control. Like Chap, I think 800 pounds would be a great choice.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
SigurdHoy

We have the Eaz-lift 7509 ST which works fine with our Sienna AWD van TV and 2619 TM - we have noticed no need for a sway bar.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
fischnet52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToliMoli View Post
Thanks for a great forum.

With luck, I'll soon own a 2720SL w/swing hitch. I've had several full-height travel trailers over the years so am familiar with set up of WDH.

Any suggestions/concerns in choosing the right WDH and mounting with swing hitch would be appreciated. I previously used an equal-i-zer brand. I liked the built in sway control, but as I remember was heavy as all get out.
WE just brought our 'new' 2008 2720 SD home (9 hrs from Eugene OR to Hayden, ID). Previous Jayco popup never needed WDH .. TV is 2002 QuadCab Daktoa 4X4, 4.7 V8. I asked the service manager at the dealer about possibility of need for WDH when we are fully loaded and he said that we likely would not need. We used a stinger with a 1 1/2" rise and came home just fine. He did not recommend using bars rated above 600-700 lbs because he said they have seen some TM frame distortion when WDHs rated upwards of 1000lbs are used .. too little flex allowed at the hitch/tongue forcing more frame flex. Made sense............??

So I guess I will need to "load up" and see how even my keel is before I decide on a WDH!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 AM   #10
PopBeavers

I towed my 2005 TM 2720 for 3.5 years with my 2002 1500HD truck and never needed a WD hitch until this year.

I added more cargo for a trip this year. Motorcycle, gas for motorcycle, with extra guests we had extra drinks.

I weighed my TM once during the first year and it weighed 3380 pounds on the TM axle. I did not weigh the tongue.