TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2024, 08:35 AM   #1
di2001

Default 2720 qb

Hi,

We are looking at purchasing a new Trail Manor. Unfortunately, the closest dealers are about 2.5 hours away in opposite directions and neither have a large selection to view. We plan to go see them in person in the next few weeks but are not sure which direction would be best due to the models they have on their lots.

We are interested in the 2720 QB Sport-is anyone familiar with this model? Are they worth the extra cost or do the standard units hold up just as well on dirt roads? (we live 1/2 mile back on a dirt road and some camping spots in our area are gravel/dirt roads)

We are also curious to know how well the Velcro closures keep bugs out. We have been watching a lot of YouTube videos to get an idea of what to expect and an owner mentioned something about wasps but didn't finish his comment.

Thanks
Diane
di2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 12:40 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by di2001 View Post
... We are also curious to know how well the Velcro closures keep bugs out. ... an owner mentioned something about wasps
I can't answer most of your question, but ...

In my experience with 3 TMs, the velcro closures work perfectly. You need more info from the person who posted about the issue.

If wasps get in while the camper is closed and in storage, they are probably getting in somewhere else. If they get in while the camper is open and occupied, and if they are known to be getting in through the velcro rather than somewhere else, then the closures are not fully closed. Depending on the age of the TM in question, openings in the velcro could have several causes, but the velcro is cheap and easy to replace if needed. I would not expect any problem on a new TM.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:15 PM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I concur with Bill, I've not had issues with bugs/bees/wasps coming thru the hatch velcro flaps.
There's not much if any suspension on the Trailmanor, and am not sure what the sport version has. I've gone down gravel and dirt roads with lots of pot holes, I go slow, very slow. I found that the first cabinet door would come open and some non breakable cups and minor items on the floor. I use a compression rod for curtains that I wedge on the cabinet door to the bathroom wall. Haven't had anything fall out since.
They come with the fold down sink faucet, if you forget to stow it before closing the shells, it will bend the nozzle in half. I ended up replacing with a different kind of nozzle. No matter what version you purchase, make sure you have a tow vehicle that can pull it up hills and be able to stop on the down hill side too. Having a bit more power for towing isn't bad, being under powered can cause headaches. Good luck with your search.

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=21665
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:30 AM   #4
di2001

Good Morning,

Thanks for the information and tips. This will be our 1st trailer. We are really excited to be able to travel for longer periods. We have been going out west to see the National Parks and a few days is just not enough.

You mentioned for towing having more power-I have a 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz with a towing capacity of 5000 lbs and the tongue weight I believe is 500 lbs - is that going to be adequate for towing the 3200lb 2720 QB Sport or would we be better with one of the lighter models? Or should we look for a full size truck (we consider my Cruz a baby truck).
Old 05-01-2024, 09:13 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

When we were new to TMs, many years ago, we did exactly the same thing. We toured the country, with emphasis on the west, for several weeks each year. We spent time in almost all of the National Parks, and the TM was wonderful.

As for the towing capability of your truck. Consensus of the Forum over the years has been that a 5000 pound tow rating is the minimum acceptable number. You need to remember a couple things.

First, 3200 pounds may be the so-called dry weight of a 2720 QB Sport (I can't find a spec for the Sport model), but it is nowhere near what your trailer will weigh when it is loaded up and ready to camp. You need to be thinking around 4000 pounds, maybe a little above. And you need to be aware that the truck's tow rating includes any cargo that you load into the truck itself.

And second, many of the most beautiful National Parks in the west involve steep grades and high altitudes, both of which are stressy for your tow vehicle. I remember spending a lot of time in the high Sierras of California, and the Rockies of Colorado and Alberta. Extended grades of 6%, with very low road speeds, are common almost everywhere in the mountains, occasionally a bit steeper. And altitude decreases the horsepower of a naturally-aspirated engine by 2%-3% per thousand feet of altitude, since there is less air to use for combustion. (Turbo may improve this situation.) Climbing these mountains is a task - and don't forget braking as you come back down.

So pack light - leave your rock collection at home - take your time, and enjoy. You will love it.

Bill
Old 05-01-2024, 03:01 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Default 2022 Santa Cruz tow rating - a little more

You have probably checked this out already. Specs for the 2022 version of the Santa Cruz seem hard to find, but those I find say that the 5000 pound rating applies if your vehicle is equipped this way.

o Premium or Limited trim levels, not SE or SEL
o AWD
o Optional factory-installed trailer brakes installed.

If your vehicle meets these requirements, you will have fun. Otherwise, maybe not so much.

Bill
Old 05-02-2024, 10:52 AM   #7
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Just an FYI from a former Trailer Salesman. Most people put somewhere between 200/400 lbs of stuff into their trailers. Add an additional 160lbs of water (If you are running with a full 20 gallon water tank). Add 40 lbs if you have two full propane tanks. And as mentioned above that you are adding to you GVWR for every body in the TV, as well as, any other items (BBQ grill, suitcases, cooler, food, beverages, chairs, suntan lotion!)

It all adds up!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:38 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Just to extend Kmike's list a bit. Most trailer spec sheets specify something called dry weight. The TM Sport spec sheet is still being updated, and I don't see dry weight on it yet. Your 3200-pound number sounds about right - non-sport models run around 2900-3000 pounds dry - so I am not questioning it. However, dry weight is the weight of the base configuration, including all "standard" items, but not including any "options" installed by the factory. Again, the TM Sport spec sheet is still being updated, and the options are not yet listed, so you can't account for their weight.

On other TM models, the options are listed. There are usually many options, but the only ones with significant impact on weight are the air conditioner and the awning. For the Sport, the awning appears to included in the Sport Package, but the air conditioner is not mentioned. When I was at the factory a few months ago, I saw several Sport models without air conditioners on the lot, so perhaps it is not included in the dry weight. In that case, you might want to add 100 pounds or so for the unit.

We are all anxious to see a full spec sheet on the Sport model.

Bill
Old 05-02-2024, 01:48 PM   #9
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

To add a tidbit, when I first started looking at tow vehicles, a sales person asked why I stressed needing a tow package for the truck I was looking at. I showed him a footnote on the brochure that mentioned; to tow XXXX weigh, a tow package must be installed. If your current tow vehicle is still under warranty...keep that in mind. Exceeding vehicle limits can void a warranty. Not saying buy another vehicle, but to be aware.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:43 PM   #10
di2001

Our Santa Cruz is the SEL Premium - I will check with our dealership on Monday when I go in for service to be sure we are equipped with everything we would need.

I really like the 2720 Sport but might have to consider the 2518. I wish the Hyundai dealer had been more detailed when he said we could easily tow a travel trailer, I didn't realize when we purchased it that the 5000 lb limit included everything in the truck too.

On a side note, I had to laugh at "leave your rock collection at home". I always bring rocks home to add to my collection from wherever we visit that allows collecting so I will need to take that into account too. Last year a museum we went to was doing some excavation work and they let me dig through their piles while my husband went through the museum lol.